Day & time of the class is yet to be confirmed, but they will start in Term 1. Classes are not accredited, and there is a charge of £25 per term for non-Renaissance Centre students. To register your interest in advance of the start of term, please contact Mrs Jayne Sweet, administrator of the CSR, at (email@example.com ), or alternatively, register through SkillsForge (this method will not be available until circa September).
Please find below some of the texts we will read (which are subject to change depending on participants’ interests):
• Cyriac of Ancona, excerpts from his Later Travels
• Flavio Biondo, Italia Illustrata
• Aldus Manutius, prefaces to his editions of works by ancient Latin writers
• Marco Girolamo Vida, the Christiad
• A selection of humanist comedies and tragedies
• A selection of Neo-Latin epigrams
• A selection of humanist correspondence (especially the correspondence of Joseph Scaliger)
Former students say:
The classes have been really helpful by covering the basics and applying them to the sort of Latin documents we are likely to come across in our research. Studying Latin this way is much more relevant - and can even be fun!
The best way to learn; friendly, relaxed and informal but with a serious purpose. It is essential for my Art History studies that I improve my lapsed Latin and I appreciate the flexible structure of teaching which adapts the coursework to the needs of the current group.