UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK
Summer Examinations: 2000/2001
ART WITHIN WALLS
Time allowed: 3 hours.
Candidates must answer THREE questions.
Read carefully the instructions on the answer book and make sure that the particulars required are entered on each answer book.
1. What motivated El Lissitsky's innovations in the exhibition of art?
2. Discuss the role of white walls in the 'Degenerate Art Exhibition' in relation to their earlier and later use.
3. What kind of spectator did the MOMA's early exhibitions hope to create?
4. What purpose did the promotion of abstraction serve in the first Documenta exhibitions?
5. Compare Richard Hamilton's and Andy Warhol's engagement with popular culture.
6. Explain the way in which Minimalism was adopted and modified by Rachel Whiteread and Mona Hatoum.
7. Is it right to say that it was Minimalism that made the gallery wall 'a participant in, rather than a passive support for art' (Brian O'Doherty, White Cube)?
8. Why did artists reject the art gallery in the 1960s and 1970s?
9. Is there one significant strand of enquiry shared by contemporary artists?
10. Do the new art museums in Europe and the USA depart from the model of the MOMA?