Dr. Vishalakshi Roy first joined the Centre as a student when she was awarded an MA in Creative and Media Enterprises in 2003, and rejoined as a visiting lecturer and arts and cultural sector specialist in 2010.
She holds a honours degree in Accountancy and a Postgraduate Diploma in Advertising and PR from the Indian Institute of Mass Communications, Delhi. She was awarded a PhD in Entrepreneurship by Warwick Business School where she was part of the Entrepreneurship and Innovation research group, exploring the role of identity in entrepreneurship.
She is module leader of Managing Cultural Organisations at the centre and of Entrepreneurship: A Critical Perspective an interdisciplinary module in Entrepreneurship at Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning. At the centre she contributes to several practice based modules including Developing Audiences for Cultural Organisations, Creativity and Organisation, Creative Business Project and Research Methods.
Vishalakshi is a Foundation Fellow of Warwick Institute of Engagement and chairs the Learning Circle: Evaluation and Assessment of Public Engagement.
Vishalakshi is fascinated by the tension between creativity and entrepreneurial behaviour that manifests itself in the running and management of creative and cultural enterprises. Her research explores entrepreneurial activity, taking the form of the identification and exploitation of opportunities for new economic, social and cultural value creation, at the level of the individual.
Her research interests also include leadership, strategic planning and management of creative businesses and cultural organisations, their markets and audiences.
Current funded projects include:
Coventry Made Me (2020)
Research into the creative identity of creative workers related to Coventry. The project will result in a new commissioned digital artwork. coventrymademe.com Funded through University Partnership Coventry Creates Funding Call – Feel Connected, Get Creative. A University Partnership fund comprising of University of Warwick and Coventry University
Culture under COVID: Realities and Dreams (2020)
Research into the impact of COVID-19 and the associated lockdown on the creative lives and work of individuals in the creative and cultural sector. Funded through the highlight call - Keeping Cultures Connected, Keeping Connected through Culture. This call was funded by Connecting Cultures and Productivity and Futures of Work GRP, University of Warwick.
Evaluation of Cultural Leadership Programme AD:Vantage (2020)
Study investigating the impact of the pilot project Creative Leadership Programme AD:Vantage being delivered in Coventry. The programme placed the vantage point of d/Deaf, neurodivergent and disabled creative practitioners at the heart of leadership. Funded by Coventry City Council.
Vishalakshi has over 20 years' experience in the arts and cultural sector in India, Europe and the UK. After several years with Audiences Central (the regional audience development agency for the West Midlands), including two as Senior Manager (Business Development), she formed Earthen Lamp, a strategic consultancy that specialises in research and strategy for the creative and cultural sector. She is director of Live and Local , Art in the Park and Creative Academies Network. She is also a certified member of the Market Research Society.
- Roy, V. (2020) Becoming a Craft Entrepreneur: A Journey of Identity Change and Conflict in Patel, K. and Naudin, A (eds) Craft Entrepreneurship, Rowman and Littlefield, Lanham MD
- Roy, V. (2018) Role of Artist Led Events in Translating Cultural Policy into Practice, Shifting Ground (print and online)
- Roy, V. and Goodwin-Thompson, C. (2018) Baseline of Coventry’s International Profile, Connectivity, Capacity and Outlook, British Council UK
- Palmer, H. and Roy, V. (2017) Evaluating Festivals, Journal of Arts Marketing, Volume 66, Arts Marketing Association, Cambridge
- Neelands, J., Dixon, A., Roy, V. (2017) Coventry Cultural Strategy 2017-2027, Coventry City Council
- Roy, V. (2017) City of Culture: Coventry is home to a "vibrant tapestry" of people, Coventry Telegraph (print and online)
- Roy, V. (2016) Valuable Visitor Data, Arts Professional (published online November 2016)
- Roy, V. (2014) Strategic management in the arts – book review. Cultural Trends, 2014, Vol 23., No1, 76-77
Selected conference papers and presentations
- Conference paper presentation 'Could do better: the exceptional impact of COVID19 emergency measures on visual artists with chronic conditions' at ANOTHER ARTWORLD: Manifestations and Conditions of Equity in Visual Arts, International Scientific Conference, University of Arts Belgrade December 2020
- Conference paper presentation 'Evaluation Frameworks of Cities of Culture' at Paris Seine-Warwick Workshop, University of Warwick November 2019
- Conference paper presentation ‘Do university art collections enhance university experience for staff and students? at the Audience Research in the Arts conference at SPARC (Sheffield Performing Arts Research Centre), University of Sheffield July 2019
- Invited Panel Member for discussion on audience engagement for S.H.E.D, Social Higher Education Depot, University of Derby July 2019
- Panel Chair for Seminar on Cultural Entrepreneurship, organised by Birmingham City University, May 2018
- Conference paper presentation ‘Is money a dirty word and starting a venture in the creative industries dirty work? at Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Annual Conference, Glasgow, November 2015. Nominated for best paper in Creative and Cultural Industries Track
- Conference paper co-presenter ‘Reconciling Approaches to Valuing Creative SMEs – a working paper’ at Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Annual Conference, Glasgow, November 2015
- Speaker and Workshop Leader at AEN Conference Audiences Insight/Out, Rotterdam, June 2012
- Invited speaker at Culture in Context, Cultural Research & Intelligence Network (CRAIN) Annual Conference, Birmingham, October 2011
- Invited speaker at USUS Konferasen, organised by University of Agder, Norway, May 2011
- Keynote speaker at UiT Forum organised by CultuurNet Vlaanderen, Leuven, November 2010
- Invited Speaker at Measuring the Unmeasurable, Digital Participation in Culture Seminar organised by Birmingham City University, Birmingham, July 2010
If you would like to see me please email for an appointment. I will normally respond within 24 hours.