About the Community and Culture Award
WATE Community and Culture is awarded to communities who work together to create, promote and sustain a culture which enables transformative education. People work together to build the conditions within which students and staff learn and thrive.
We welcome nominations from students and staff.
There will be one award and the winning community will win £5000.
2022 shortlist announced
Criterion 1: excellence in the impact of the community and culture on teaching and learning.
The community creates the conditions for teaching excellence, and a learning environment where all members of the community can thrive and grow as they work and learn together. They will create an environment which promotes and champions teaching and learning which:
- has impact on student learning specific to context;
- supports the academic, social, emotional, and ethical aspects of learning;
- engages students as partners in teaching, learning and assessment.
This will be evaluated in terms of its value, reach and impact.
Criterion 2: excellence in the community approach.
There is evidence of excellence in the approach of the community to building a culture which creates the conditions for teaching excellence, commensurate with their context and the opportunities afforded by it. This might include evidence of:
- a shared identity, vision, and values;
- mutual trust, respect, and support;
- integration and celebration of diverse experience and perspectives;
- inter-dependence - an educational ecosystem;
- equality of participation and inclusion;
- a learning culture;
- support for communities of practice;
- success is celebrated;
- space to take risks and learn from failure;
- shared and appropriate leadership;
- all members of the community are empowered and have agency.