This course will introduce basic ideas and models in order to provide the framework and tools of game theory to students with no prior experience of this subject. The course will aim to inspire students to apply this subject matter in various social science research and different economic contexts.
Principal Learning Outcomes
- To develop knowledge of the main concepts and tools of Game Theory
- To develop an ability to critically review applied papers using game theory
- To develop the knowledge and skills to conceptualize real world problems using the Game-theoretic perspective
- To develop the knowledge and skills to interpret real-world events and phenomena of interest to social scientist using the game theory language and tools
This 10 CAT (level 7 / M level) module is open to ESRC funded Social Science students at Warwick and will be taught over two consecutive 8 hour days. Students will be expected to commit to approximately 84 hours of self-directed study. The module will be assessed via a 3000 word written assignment.
MGS DTP students and non-funded Social Science PhD students at Warwick cannot yet undertake this module for credit but may audit the module. Students taking up this opportunity would be expected to attend both days teaching and participate fully with the exception of the preparation of and submission of the assignment.
Who may take this module?
At present, only ESRC funded students from the Warwick ESRC DTC/P may apply to take his module for credit. MGS DTP students cannot yet undertake this module for credit but may audit the module (see module format above)..
How do I apply?
Please complete the registration form.
Please note that this module will only run if minimum numbers are reached.
- Dixit, A. and Nalebuff, B. (2017) The Art of Strategy: A Game Theorist's Guide to Success in Business and Life, New York: Norton and Company
- Binmore, K. (2007) Game Theory: A Very Short Introduction, Oxford: Oxford Univeristy Press
- Schelling, T. (1981) The Strategy of Conflict, Harvard MA: Harvard University Press
If you have any questions about this module, please email ESRCdtp@warwick.ac.uk.
Game Theory for Social Scientists - ESRC Advanced Training module (IM932)
Dates: Wednesday 5th and Thursday 6th June 2019 - *Cancelled*