Gibson Group: Akalabya Bissoyi
Akalabya Bissoyi was born in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha, India, and completed his Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy from Utkal University. Master’s degree in Biotechnology from the National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, India. His thesis focuses on the synthesis of H3 inverse agonists with AchE inhibitor properties and QSAR studies of H3 receptor antagonists.
Subsequently, Akalabya Bissoyi did his Ph. D at Dept. of Biotechnology and Medical Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Rourkela, Odisha, India, and was awarded the Ph.D. degree in 2015 with a thesis on “Cryopreservation of mesenchymal stem cell and tissue-engineered constructs using non-toxic cryoprotective agents”.
As a former postdoctoral student at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in Israel, his research focuses on the role that antifreeze and ice-nucleating proteins play in tissue cryopreservation. In addition, he has been developing a new cryopreservation device for cell and organ-on-chip devices.
Dr. Akalabya Bissoyi's research interests include cryobiology, stem cell engineering, tissue engineering, and ice-binding proteins.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
Selected peer-reviewed publications relevant to Cryobiology research
1. Judge, N., Georgiou, P. G., Bissoyi, A., Ahmad, A., Heise, A., & Gibson, M. I. (2023). High Molecular Weight Polyproline as a Potential Biosourced Ice Growth Inhibitor: Synthesis, Ice Recrystallization Inhibition, and Specific Ice Face Binding. Biomacromolecules.
2. Bissoyi, A., Ruben M. F. Tomás., …& Matthew I. Gibson*. Cryopreservation of Liver-Cell Spheroids with Macromolecular Cryoprotectants, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2023, 1021/acsami.2c18288.
3. Forbes, J., Bissoyi, A., Eickhoff, L., Reicher, N., Hansen, T., Bon, C. G., ... & Davies, P. L. (2022). Water-organizing motif continuity is critical for potent ice nucleation protein activity. Nature communications, 13(1), 1-14.
4. Georgiou, P. G., Kinney, N. L., Kontopoulou, I., Baker, A. N., Hindmarsh, S. A., Bissoyi, A., ... & Gibson, M. I. (2022). Poly (vinyl alcohol) Molecular Bottlebrushes Nucleate Ice. Biomacromolecules, 23(12), 5285-5296.
5. Tomás, R. M., Bissoyi, A., Congdon, T. R., & Gibson, M. I. (2022). Assay-ready Cryopreserved Cell Monolayers Enabled by Macromolecular Cryoprotectants. Biomacromolecules.
6. Bissoyi, A., and Ido B. "Adherent cell thawing by infrared radiation." Cryobiology (2021).
7. Bissoyi, A.; Reicher, N.; Chasnitsky, M.; Arad, S.; Koop, T.; Rudich, Y.; Braslavsky, I. Ice Nucleation Properties of Ice-binding Proteins from Snow Fleas. Biomolecules 2019, 9, 532.
8. Singh, Abhishek Kumar, Anubhuti Jha, Arindam Bit, Andrey P. Kiassov, Albert A. Rizvanov, Archit Ojha, Pooja Bhoi, Pradeep Kumar Patra, Awanish Kumar, and Bissoyi, A*. "Selaginella bryopteris Aqueous Extract Improves Stability and Function of Cryopreserved Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells." Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity 2017.
9. Bissoyi A*, Bit A, Singh BK, Singh AK, Patra PK (2016) Enhanced cryopreservation of MSCs in microfluidic bioreactor by regulated shear flow. Scientific Reports, 6, 35416. DOI: 10.1038/srep35416
10. Bissoyi, A., & Pramanik, K. (2014). Role of the apoptosis pathway in cryopreservation-induced cell death in mesenchymal stem cells derived from umbilical cord blood. Biopreservation and biobanking, 12(4), 246-254.
11. Bissoyi, A., Pramanik, K., Panda, N. N., & Sarangi, S. K. (2014). Cryopreservation of hMSCs seeded silk nanofibers based tissue-engineered constructs. Cryobiology, 68(3), 332-342.
12. Bissoyi, A., Nayak, B., Pramanik, K., & Sarangi, S. K. (2014). Targeting CryopreservationInduced Cell Death: A Review. Biopreservation and biobanking, 12(1), 23-34.
13. Bissoyi, A., & Pramanik, K. (2013). Effects of Non-Toxic Cryoprotective Agents on the Viability of Cord Blood-Derived MNCs. Cryoletters, 34(5), 453-465.
Selected peer-reviewed publications (In the field of Tissue engineering)
14. Shambhoo Sharan Tripathi, Raushan Kumar, Akalabya Bissoyi, and Syed Ibrahim Rizvi1. “Baicalein May Act as a Caloric Restriction Mimetic Candidate to Improve the Antioxidant Profile in a Natural Rodent Model of Aging” REJUVENATION RESEARCH Volume 25, Number 2, 2022, DOI: 10.1089/rej.2021.0071
15. Tripathi, S. S., Kumar, R., Bissoyi, A., & Rizvi, S. I. (2020). Baicalein maintains redox balance in experimental hyperlipidemic rats. Archives of physiology and biochemistry, 1-9.
16. Singh, A.K., Singh, S., Tripathi, V.K., Bissoyi, A., Garg, G. and Rizvi, S.I., 2019. Rapamycin Confers Neuroprotection Against Aging-Induced Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Dysfunction, and Neurodegeneration in Old Rats Through Activation of Autophagy. Rejuvenation Research, 22(1), pp.60-70.
17. Singh, S., Garg, G., Singh, A. K., Bissoyi, A., & Rizvi, S. I. (2019). Fisetin, a potential caloric restriction mimetic, attenuates senescence biomarkers in rat erythrocytes. Biochemistry and Cell Biology, 97(4), 480-487.
18. Agrawal, P., Pramanik, K. and Bissoyi, A., 2018. Novel Blowspun Nanobioactive Glass Doped Polycaprolactone/Silk Fibroin Composite Nanofibrous Scaffold with Enhanced Osteogenic Property for Bone Tissue Engineering. Fibers and Polymers, 19(12), pp.2465-2477.
19. Gupta, S., Bissoyi, A. & Bit, A. A Review on 3D Printable Techniques for Tissue Engineering, BioNanoSci. (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12668-018-0525-4
20. Maji, K., Dasgupta, S., Pramanik, K., & Bissoyi, A. (2018). Preparation and characterization of gelatin-chitosan-nanoβ-TCP based scaffold for orthopedic application. Materials Science and Engineering: C.
21. Agrawal, P., Pramanik, K., Vishwanath, V., Biswas, A., Bissoyi, A., & Patra, P. K. (2018). Enhanced chondrogenesis of mesenchymal stem cells over silk fibroin/chitosan‐chondroitin sulfate three-dimensional scaffold in dynamic culture condition. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, 106(7), 2576-2587.
22. Singh, A. K., Jha, A., Bit, A., Kiassov, A. P., Rizvanov, A. A., Ojha, A., ... & Bissoyi, A. (2017). Selaginella bryopteris aqueous extract improves stability and function of cryopreserved human mesenchymal stem cells. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity, 2017.
23. Bissoyi, A., Singh, A. K., Pattanayak, S. K., Bit, A., Sinha, S. K., Patel, A., ... & Patra, P. K. (2017). Understanding the molecular mechanism of improved proliferation and osteogenic potential of human mesenchymal stem cells grown on a polyelectrolyte complex derived from non-mulberry silk fibroin and chitosan. Biomedical Materials, 13(1), 015011.
24. Singh, Abhishek Kumar, Bissoyi, A*, Mahendra Pratap Kashyap, Pradeep Kumar Patra, and Syed Ibrahim Rizvi. "Autophagy Activation Alleviates Amyloid-β-Induced Oxidative Stress, Apoptosis, and Neurotoxicity in Human Neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y Cells." Neurotoxicity Research (2017): 1-11.
25. Behera SS, Das U, Kumar A, Bissoyi A*, Singh AK (2017) Chitosan/TiO2 composite membrane improves proliferation and survival of L929 fibroblast cells: Application in wound dressing and skin regeneration. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, In Press, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.02.017
26. Tarai, S., Bit, A., dos Reis, H.J., Palotás, A., Rizvanov, A., and Bissoyi, A. (2016) Stratifying Heterogeneous Dimension of Neurodegenerative Diseases: Intervention for Stipulating Epigenetic Factors to Combat Oxidative Stress in Human Brain. BioNanoScience, 6(4), pp.411-42215.
27. Bissoyi, A., Kumar, A., Rizvanov, A. A., Nesmelov, A., Gusev, O., Patra, P. K., & Bit, A. (2016). Recent advances and future direction in lyophilisation and desiccation of mesenchymal stem cells. Stem cells international, 2016.
28. Maji, K., Dasgupta, S., Pramanik, K., & Bissoyi, A. (2016). Preparation and evaluation of gelatin-chitosan-nanobioglass 3D porous scaffold for bone tissue engineering. International journal of biomaterials, 2016.
29. Agarwal, T., Asthana, S., & Bissoyi, A*. (2015). Molecular modeling and docking study to elucidate novel chikungunya virus nsP2 protease inhibitors. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 77(4), 453. 18.
30. Mukhopadhyay, S., Das, D. N., Panda, P. K., Sinha, N., Naik, P. P., Bissoyi, A., & Bhutia, S. K. (2015). Autophagy protein Ulk1 promotes mitochondrial apoptosis through reactive oxygen species. Free Radical Biology and Medicine.
31. Maji, K., Dasgupta, S., Kundu, B., & Bissoyi, A. (2015). Development of gelatin-chitosan hydroxyapatite-based bioactive bone scaffold with controlled pore size and mechanical strength. Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, 1-20.
32. Mukhopadhyay, S., Panda, P. K., Behera, B., Das, C. K., Hassan, M. K., Das, D. N., Bissoyi A., Pramanik, K., Bhutia, S. K.(2014) Antitumor effect of soybean lectin mediated through reactive oxygen species-dependent pathway. Life sciences, 111(1), 27-35.
33. Panda, N.; Bissoyi, A.; Biswas, A.; Pramanik, K.,(2014) “Development of novel electrospun nanofibrous scaffold from P. ricini and A. mylitta silk fibroin blend with improved surface and biological properties. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 48, 521-532.
34. Panda, N.; Bissoyi, A.; Biswas, A.; Pramanik, K.,(2014) “Directing osteogenesis of stem cells with hydroxyapatite precipitated electrospun eri–tasar silk fibroin nanofibrous scaffold. Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, 25(13), 1440-1457.
35. Mukhopadhyay, S., Panda, P. K., Behera, B., Das, C. K., Hassan, M. K., Das, D. N., Bissoyi A.,Bhutia, S. K. (2014). In vitro and in vivo antitumor effects of Peanut agglutinin through induction of apoptotic and autophagic cell death. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 64, 369-377.
1. Bissoyi, A., Pattanayak, S. K., Bit, A., Patel, A., Singh, A. K., Behera, S. S., & Satpathy, D. (2017). Alphavirus nonstructural proteases and their inhibitors. In Viral proteases and their inhibitors (pp. 77-104). Academic Press.
2. Chand, A., Chettiyankandy, P., Moharana, M., Sahu, S. N., Pradhan, S. K., Pattanayak, S. K., Bissoyi, A. & Chowdhuri, S. (2018). Computational methods for developing novel antiaging interventions. In Molecular Basis and Emerging Strategies for Anti-aging Interventions (pp. 175-193). Springer, Singapore.
3. Sahu, S. N., Moharana, M., Martha, S. R., Bissoyi, A., Maharana, P. K., & Pattanayak, S. K. (2019). Computational biology approach in management of big data of healthcare sector. In Big Data Analytics for Intelligent Healthcare Management (pp. 247-267). Academic Press.
4. Moharana, M., Bissoyi, A., Khan, F., & Pattanayak, S. K. (2023). Data-Driven Approach Study for the Prediction and Detection of Infectious Disease Outbreak. In Data-Driven Approach for Bio-medical and Healthcare (pp. 115-129). Springer, Singapore.
SELECTED ORAL PRESENTATIONS AND POSTERS
1. Cryobiology, Virtual Meeting 2020.
2. Fifteenth Annual Meeting of SFRR-India 2017 (SFRR-INDIA-17) at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Trombay, Mumbai, India
3. Second International Conference on Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (ICTERM-13), NIT Rourkela, India Nov-2013.
4. Termis, Vienna, Austria, 2012.
5. Cellular & Molecular Biophysics at CCMB Hyderabad, India on Jan 20, 2009.
AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS
- Horizon prize, 2022, For the development, application, and translation of chemical tools for cryobiology. Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Winner of Nano art competition(2019) at Nano Conference organized by the Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
- PBC fellowship from the Government of Israel for 2018-2020.
- Research Associateship: DBT, Government of India, Department of Biotechnology and Medical Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Odisha India (June 2009- December 2009)
- Senior Research Fellowship (SRF, Project), Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, National Institute of Technology, Odisha India (January 2010- December 2014)
- Awarded 1st prize for oral presentation in ICTERM-2011 (N.I.T Rourkela, 2011)
- Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering (GATE) Qualified, Percentile-99, Year-2007 conducted by IIT Kanpur.
Research Grants/Projects Received as PI from National/International funding agencies
Mechanotransduction behavior of Osteoblast in Scaffold Construct before and after cryopreservation - Department of Science and Technology, India 47,000 USD Completed 2016 to 2019
Web of Science Research ID: AAA-9848-2020