Skip to main content Skip to navigation


The first year of the 4-year program at MOAC is an MSc in mathematical biology and biophysical chemistry. As part of this, 53% of the year is taught, i.e. lectures, exams and coursework in the subject areas described here. The remaining 47% is split equally between three 8-week 'mini-projects' in three different disciplines, physical chemistry, life sciences and theoretical/computational.

Mini-project 1: Photoprotection mechanisms in a Eumelanin building block.
Mini-project 2: Actin dynamics in microtubule mutants.
Mini-project 3: Understanding and optimising energy transfer in model photosynthetic systems.