One aspect of preparing academics for a new position of leadership is for there to be a fairly wide and accurate understanding of what the job involves. After looking at various models to approach this, including Monash, we have decided to create a small-scale programme; ‘Warwick Academic Shadowing Programme’: Leaders in Action.
The pilot programme will be led by Alison Rodger, Head of Chemistry (Athena Swan Steering Committee) and supported by the Learning and Development Centre team, it will involve 3 half days of shadowing a more senior academic colleague over the Autumn and Spring Terms.
This pilot programme aims to provide participants with an opportunity:
- To enhance understanding of the structure of the Warwick, including its management structure
- To increase knowledge of the broader environment within which the University of Warwick operates and the strategic management issues addressed by senior management
- To develop leadership capabilities by exposure to senior management personnel and their decision-making processes
- To raise the profile of participants amongst senior management
- To increase the confidence of participants in operating at senior decision-making levels
- To provide enhanced networking opportunities between participants, and between participants and members of the senior management team
If you are successful in securing a place on this initial small-scale pilot programme, you will be given the opportunity to shadow a senior colleague for 3 half days in terms 1 and 2. This will be preceded by an introductory briefing session in late September or early October that will involve a mid-programme progress session and conclude with a final review. You will be notified if you have been successful by: Friday 5 September 2014.
For further informaation and to apply please see the website or contact Professor Alison Rodgers on A dot Rodger at warwick dot ac dot uk.