The first Staff Awards evening was held on Friday 10 May 2013, it was the first event since the Campus and Commercial Services Group was formed.
The night was attended by 220 staff, the highest attendance ever, including Professor Nigel Thrift, Ken Sloan and a number of directors from across CCSG and key sponsors.
Award categories and winners
- Melanie Ward
Long Service awards
- 30 years - Cathy Cattel, Warwick Accommodation
- 20 years - Jo-Anne Brown, Warwick Conference Park & Events, Angela Devine, The Bookshop, Pauline Hampton, Maureen Bennett, Marie Lambe and Rose Mills all from Warwick Accommodation
Employee of the Year
These are awards by the staff, for the staff, where people are nominated by their own work colleagues for making an outstanding contribution. Each business area puts forward nominees who are then invited to attend the dinner this evening. There were 9 overall winners.
- 2013 Employee of the Year for Arden - Maz Paine
- 2013 Employee of the Year for Radcliffe - Claire Walker
- 2013 Employee of the Year for Scarman - Joy Clayton
- 2013 Employee of the Year for the Sales & Marketing Team - Sarah Bryan
- 2013 Employee of the Year for Conference Park & Events - Clare Balcarres
- 2013 Employee of the Year for Cafés, Bars & Restaurants - Joe Halas, from Café Library
- 2013 Employee of the Year Award for the business areas of Jobs AC, Warwick Print and Unitemps - Yunlong Zhao from Jobs AC
- 2013 Employee of the Year Award (Support Services - IT, Finance and HR) - Paul Sebastian from Finance
- 2013 Employee of the Year Award for Warwick Accommodation - Chris Bridge from Facilities, Staff & Family Housing
Reward & Recognition Scheme
Fourteen members of staff from across the group were nominated for this award. This scheme aims to promote a high performance culture where excellence is encouraged and rewarded. We recognise employees who make an outstanding contribution; the people who go above and beyond the call of duty; and to ensure that we retain good talent and enhance the University’s reputation.
For this Award, staff were invited to put forward new ideas, innovations or improvements based on some of our Core Drivers around Customer Service improvements, Financial benefits and Promoting health and safety.
Some of the ideas are in the process of being, or have already been, implemented. Others will now be given the support and guidance from management to ensure that ideas are taken forward.
- The overall winner of the Ideas Competition was Diane Sargeant from Warwick Accommodation.
Managers were asked to nominate individuals who had benefitted significantly from some form of learning and development over the qualifying period, and to justify how their business had been positively impacted as a result.
There were 4 overall winners for this award:
- Natalja Saveljeva, Manager at Scarman’s new Fine Dining Restaurant, 91.
- Joy Clayton, Scarman Bar Supervisor
- Mita Nathwani, Duty Manager, Conference Park & Events
- Ian Williams, Events Food & Drink Manager, Conference Park & Events.
Food Safety Award
The main purpose of the inspections was to identify both good and bad practice. C & CSG is committed to ensuring that food outlets not only produce food in a safe manner, but comply with the appropriate legislation, therefore reducing the potential for adverse feedback.
Once again, external inspections carried out by both Coventry City and Warwick District Councils resulted in all food outlets within the C & CSG being awarded the top grade (grade 5) under the nationally recognised Food Hygiene Rating Scheme.
- The overall winner was Café Gibbet Hill.
Health & Safety Award
A total of 32 health and safety inspections were carried out. Inspections included looking at competency of employees, fire safety control measures, electrical safety, handling and storage of chemicals, housekeeping and the organisation of work areas.
- The overall winner was Radcliffe House.
Outstanding Team Award
This team demonstrated how they met the various core drivers and business goals. Customer service is at the heart of what they do. The team invest a lot of time in listening to their customers and are constantly seeking feedback on how to improve their service. They receive excellent comments on their positive and friendly attitude, and are praised for their efficiency and professionalism. They continually hit department KPIs, which as well as their financial success, includes improving the variety, standard and consistency of products with their constantly evolving range.
The team continues to beat their budgets year on year, and are on track to beat it again for the 6th year in succession. Training and development has been a key focus, with numerous members of the team undertaking various professional development courses.
- 2013 Outstanding Team Award was Delivered Food & Drink.
Congratulations to all winners and nominees.