You might have seen the current news coverage of the Gameover Zeus computer virus. IT Security have been monitoring the University network and ITS-managed computers for a number of weeks and have been responding swiftly to manage any infected computers.
We'd encourage you to act quickly to protect your own devices. Here are some basic steps on how to do so:
- Install internet security software from companies listed on Get Safe Online's Facebook and Google+ profiles to download a free tool to scan for Gameover Zeus and CryptoLocker, and remove them from your computer.
- Do not open attachments in emails unless you are 100% certain that they are authentic.
- Make sure your internet security software is up-to-date and switched on at all times.
- Make sure your Windows operating system has the latest Microsoft updates applied.
- Make sure your software programs have the latest manufacturers' updates applied.
- Make sure all of your files including documents, photos, music and bookmarks are backed up and readily available in case you are no longer able to access them on your computer.
- Never store passwords on your computer in case they are accessed by Gameover Zeus or another aggressive malware program.
Should you have any further queries or concerns, please contact the Helpdesk@warwick.ac.uk