Staff and students may be aware that fire-fighters in England and Wales have announced that they will take three further periods of strike action:
- Tuesday 24 December (Christmas Eve) 2013 - between 7pm-midnight
- Tuesday 31 December 2013 - between 6.30pm-12.30am (1 Jan 2014)
- Friday 3 January 2014 - between 6.30am-8.30am
Our local Fire and Rescue Services have contingency measures in place to respond to a confirmed fire or where there is an immediate risk to life.
While the strike is of short duration and unlikely to cause significant impact to the normal life of the University, staff and students should of course consider any potential impact on events they are running within that short time frame. This is also an opportune moment for staff and students to:
- Remind themselves of the basic fire procedures
- Re-familiarise themselves with the local emergency exit routes
- Ensure that they, their colleagues, and friends take every fire alarm seriously and evacuate immediately, calmly and safely on hearing such an alarm.
Note: There will not be any fire drills or testing during strike periods.
Anyone wishing to discuss any more specific area of fire safety should contact Chris Mayfield, the University’s Fire Safety Adviser on ext. 22561 or mobile: 07876 218170.