The CSW Sport Team, who are based at the University, is a partnership of organisations who have committed to work together to develop sport and active recreation throughout Coventry, Solihull and Warwickshire. It is one of 6 sub regional County Sports Partnerships (CSPs) within the West Midlands and one of 49 across England.
The Partnership, chaired by Warwick's Director of Physical Education and Sport, Terry Monnington, employs over 20 staff, ranging from strategic managers, development officers and coaches.
The Partnership Office also provides hosting services to several National Governing Bodies including; England Netball, The Amateur Swimming Association and Badminton England.
CSW Sport was previously known as Greater Warwickshire Sport, when its main role was to deliver the 5-year ‘Active Sports’ Programme. The Partnership is now tasked with the Government target of raising participation by 1% annually – that means getting over 6,000 more people active each year! To achieve this, the work of the Partnership will revolve around the following 5 themes:
- PLAN : to strategically co-ordinate and plan local sport delivery and identify, broker and strengthen strategic links with other organisations that may use sport to meet some of their objectives.
- INCREASE : support high quality clubs and other agencies (i.e. schools, local authorities, voluntary, community or private sector, colleges, universities) to develop pathways for young people and interventions, projects and initiatives to increase adult participation in sport and active recreation.
- DEVELOP : develop an appropriately skilled workforce who support sport - teachers, coaches, volunteers, and professional staff.
- MEASURE : generating evidence, identifying the strengths and weaknesses of existing work and the present infrastructure, and to enable informed decisions to be made based on accurate data and evidence.
- PROMOTE : improving the methods and effectiveness of communicating information between partner agencies, and improving the marketing and communication of success to target audiences.
The Partnership were the first within the West Midlands to be declared ‘Fit For Purpose’ by Sport England, which was recently recognised when the Chair; Terry Monnington (Director of PE & Sport at The University) was presented with an award by Lord Sebastian Coe.
More information about CSW Sport can be found on their website at: www.cswsport.org.uk