Skip to main content

In Memoriam: Adrian Rowe-Evans

Secretary and Registrar at Warwick 1973 to 1983

adrianAdrian Rowe-Evans was Secretary and Registrar at Warwick for ten years. He lead an interesting life including fighting in the second World War, flying a Spitfire, travelling to Canada, Ceylon, South East Asia and living in Hong Kong. He died on 7 August 2013 at the age of 90.

The funeral service will be at 12 noon on Tuesday 27 August at St Nicholas Church, High Street, Kenilworth CV8 1LZ

Followed by a brief cremation ceremony at 1pm (for close friends and family) at Canley Crematorium, Cannon Hill Road, Coventry, CV4 7DF

Refreshments will be at the Virgins and Castle pub around the corner from the church commencing when the family return from the crematorium at 1.30 - 2pm ish.

Adrian's nephew added:

“Adrian was born in Cwmbran, South Wales on 14 September 1923. He hardly saw his father, who was serving in the Army, and his mother died from TB when he was seven. From then on, he lived with his Aunt Doris, until he was 13, when he joined his father and his new wife, in Clifton, Bristol, where he had attained a scholarship.

With a lifelong love of aircraft, he joined the Fleet Air Arm after war broke out. He recalled that "All of a sudden everyone was in such a terrible hurry. Training took place all over the world and I relished the opportunity to fly most days, to travel and spend time in Canada, Ceylon and South East Asia." Adrian also flew the legendary Spitfire on its last official flight in April 1955, at the Queen's birthday flypast in Hong Kong.

Adrian met his wife Prue, a Wren and the daughter of the well-known cartoonist, David Low, in 1945. After their marriage they lived in Bloomsbury, London, where Adrian worked at the Senate House, University of London.

He spotted an ad for a job in Administration at the University of Hong Kong and he and Prue spent some years there. He moved on to a similar role in Southern India. Back in England, Adrian rose to become Registrar at the University of Warwick (he was at Warwick from 1973 – 1983). He died on 7 August 2013, and will be missed by all who knew him.”