Students, staff, friends and families gathered in the Panorama Room (Rootes Building), where the prizes were presented by Pro-Vice Chancellor Christina Hughes, who said:
This is the second year I've had the honour to be here and give these awards and prizes. It's a fantastic evening of thanks and celebration, and it's great to recognise the value of the work which students do and to thank the generosity of our alumni and friends. Without their generous support, we wouldn't be here this evening, recognising the strength of our students' work at Warwick."
- The Ann Barnes Prize for academic excellence and exceptional classroom proficiency was created in memory of Dr Ann Barnes. This prize is awarded annually to one Warwick trainee in the Institute of Education who excels both academically and as a teacher.
- The Rohin Modasia Prize, founded by alumnus Rohin Modasia, for outstanding contribution in Engineering Sustainability and the Prize for excellence in Economics with applications to benefit the wider community.
- The William V Whitehead Prize for academic excellence for in English and Comparative Literature which is awarded to a first year student who achieves the highest marks in their year group in memory of his long standing career and academic values.
- Founded by alumnus Andy Charman, the Philosophy and Literature Essay Prize rewards students who demonstrate a personal commitment to the study of philosophy and literature through an essay addressing the question: How does studying philosophy and literature matter to your life?
- The Ron Lockhart Prize, founded by mathematics alumnus Ron Lockhart, in recognition of academic achievement and excellence within the Mathematics Institute.
The student prize winners were really delighted that their hard work, dedication and commitment had been recognised. Maria Vittoria Foglia, student prize winner, said:
I count it as a great honour to have been awarded the Giving to Warwick Prize for the Department of Economics. I strongly believe it's my role as a student to try my best both to strive academically and to actively contribute to the department life and I am very happy that my commitment and efforts have been recognised."
All of these awards are fully funded by donations from alumni and friends of the University and would not have been possible without the support of generous donors. For more information see the Giving to Warwick webpages.