Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Re-enrolment FAQs & Contact Us

Find out more about re-enrolment and related topics if you are a continuing student.


Students are required to re-enrol annually. If you do not re-enrol you will no longer be treated as a student of the University and your student rights (such as library and IT access) will be revoked. The re-enrolment process also ensures that you agree, for up to a further twelve month period, to abide by the Regulations and Ordinances of the University - something which is legally required of all students.

You will receive an email to your Warwick email address informing you that Course Registration is open for you. This is done on an individual basis and therefore Course Registration may not open at the same time for your housemates or course mates. When you receive this email:

  • Sign into Student Records OnlineLink opens in a new window using your Warwick IT username and password
  • if not automatically re-directed, you should click on the Course Registration tab. Course registration is the process you need to complete in order to re-enrol.

The online form gives you the opportunity to update your personal details before re-enrolling. Please ensure you check each section carefully, although all students can now update some of this information throughout the year via the My Data tab in Student Records OnlineLink opens in a new window. Once you are happy that all the data is correct, click through to the end. You will receive a confirmation email once the process is complete.

Please also ensure that your fees are paid Link opens in a new windowand if you are an international student that you undertake any required passport and visa checks.

Students who will be taking an intercalated year, year abroad or non-mandatory year away from their studies are still required to re-enrol online as this is part of their course. Please check your Warwick email address regularly for instructions about re-enrolment if you are taking a year abroad. If you do not know how to access your Warwick email address, please contact IT Service Desk on +44 (0)24 7657 3737.

If you have received an email asking you to complete course registration, you should do so in order to make sure your enrolment record is up to date, even if you are close to the end of your studies. The whole process won’t take you very long and if you’re not due to pay fees you won’t be charged.

Please continue to complete your course registration on your original course as it is the same process regardless of what course you study. Your registration can be moved across to your new course so you won't need to enrol again.

Student Finance

You will receive an invoice for your tuition fees via email before your course commences.

This is a pro forma invoice and is not attached to a charge, it was sent as it forms part of the Welcome Back email.

An invoice for your tuition fee will be sent to the same sponsor as last year, details of which can be seen via the Student sponsors link on the Finance section when you log into Student Records OnlineLink opens in a new window.


You will not receive an invoice for your accommodation fees. If you will be residing in off-campus accommodation let through Warwick Accommodation, you will receive details of your termly payments when you collect your keys. If you pay by Direct Debit the amount to be taken will be confirmed in writing and by email each term ten working days prior to collection.

Personal Details

Please send a copy of either your birth/marriage certificate, deed poll, driving license or passport to studentrecords at warwick dot ac dot uk quoting your student number. Alternatively you can visit the Student Information CentreLink opens in a new window on the ground floor of Senate House. You will need to provide one of the above mentioned documents. Changes to names cannot be made without the University first seeing some documents as proof of the change.

Sign into Student Records OnlineLink opens in a new window. From here you can enter a new permanent home address or a new local/term-time address via the My data tab.