Born 1930, Coventry.
George Wagstaffe studied at Coventry College of Art from 1955-60 and in 1957 won the Sculpture Prize in the Young Contemporaries exhibition at the ICA. He lectured at the Lanchester Polytechnic from 1961-64 and became a visiting lecturer at the Mid-Warwickshire College of Art. In 1960 Coventry City Council commissioned Naiad for Earl Street Courtyard, Coventry. This was followed by ecclesiastical commissions in 1972 and 1973 and work for the Shell Chemical Headquarters, Chester, in 1989. Standing Stone was one of a series of drawings which have since developed as sculpture. He lives and works in Coventry and is a visiting lecturer in the Institute of Education at the University of Warwick.