Chainsaws are dangerous even when properly maintained and equipped with all safety devices.
- the chainsaw should be checked thoroughly before use to ensure that all guards are in position and in good repair, the chain, guide bar and sprockets are not damaged and all external fittings are secure.
- cutting chains with only kick-back guard, eg guard links, are recommended. The chain should be correctly tensioned and sharpened according to the manufacturer’s specification.
- the lubrication system should be working and the chain brake tested to ensure that it works properly;
- anyone using a chainsaw, even for a short period should wear full protective clothing, this includes: safety helmet, face visor, hearing protection, clothing that is close fitting, chainsaw operator’s gloves, leg protection and chainsaw operator’ safety boots;
- all users must be properly trained.