This guide details how to add a choice activity. The choice activity enables a teacher to ask a single question and offer a selection of possible responses.
A choice activity may be used:
- As a quick poll to stimulate thinking about a topic
- To quickly test students' understanding
- To facilitate student decision-making, for example allowing participants to vote on a direction for the course.
Different settings allow for choice results to be published after students have answered, after a certain date, or not at all. Results may be published with student names or anonymously.
How to set up a Choice activity
- Click on the gear icon (cog icon) in the top right corner to open the action menu.
- In the action menu, click on 'Turn editing on'.
- In the section or topic where you want to add the Choice activity, click on 'Add an activity or resource'.
- Choose 'Choice' from the list of activities and resources.
- Give your choice activity a name
- In the description field, provide instructions, including the question the participants will be making a choice about.
- Select to 'Display description on course page' if applicable and select the 'Display mode' for the choice options you want the students to make (horizontal or vertical presentation).
- If you want to allow participants to change their choice while the activity is still open, select 'Yes' for 'Allow choice to be updated'.
- If you want to allow students to select multiple options, select 'Yes' for 'Allow more than one choice to be selected'.
- If you want to limit the number of students who can select each option, select 'Yes' for 'Limit the number of responses allowed'. This might be useful where students sign up for groups where groups have a maximum number of students.
- Enter each choice in an the option fields, and enter limit numbers if you have enabled limiting. Click 'Add 3 field(s) to form' if you need to add more options.
- Under Availability, you may want to restrict choice activity to a time period, select dates and times for which you want this choice to be available. You can also select 'Show preview' to make a preview available before the choice is opened for submission.
- Under Results, you may want to select whether and when you want to publish results for this choice activity to students. If you do choose to publish results to students, you may select whether you want the results to display anonymously or to display students' names. You may also select whether you want to display unanswered results and whether to include inactive/suspended users.
- You may enter settings for Activity Completion, Restrict Access if relevant.
- Click 'Save and display to check that the question and options display as you wish.
How to view responses of a Choice activity
- On the Moodle space, click on the choice activity.
- On the choice activity page, click 'View responses' to view all responses given so far.
For more guidance on the database activity, please see:
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Make your course visible to students
- Check participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Enrol participants using Warwick auto-enrolment
- Manually enrol participants onto a Moodle space
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Switch to another role
- Create groups
- Create groupings
- Using group mode with activities
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Create an assignment
- Assignment submission types
- Assignment settings
- Create an assignment for group submission
- Set up Turnitin within an assignment
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Blind marking
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Introduction to Vevox
- Get help with Vevox
- Converting from Turning Point to Vevox
- Polling in PowerPoint using the Vevox add-in
- Polling and Q&A all running within the Vevox dashboard
- Polling in PowerPoint, plus Q&A
- Request a Vevox account
- Information about Vevox for students
- Use Teams with Vevox personal response system