Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Immigration FAQs (Frequently asked questions)

Section 1: Purpose and Contents of this page:

This page has been made to answer frequently asked questions


Section 2: I'm an offer holder and I want to know how to get a CAS, apply for a visa and come to the UK

There are a lot to think about when preparing for your study in the UK. Please refer to our New Student FAQLink opens in a new window which should answer most of your queries.

Section 3: Who should I contact in case of an emergency while the University is closed?

University Security Services are open 24 hours a day and can be contacted on 024 7652 2083.

In the event that you require urgent immigration advice over the holiday period, you may wish to contact Coventry Law Centre on 024 7622 3053. Please be aware that the centre may be closed for a short period over the Christmas period. You may also find the UKCISA website helpfulLink opens in a new window.

Section 4: I am a current student and will be travelling outside of the UK for a holiday. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

We suggest that you take time to read our travel safety adviceLink opens in a new window. You should also be aware of what to carry with you when you re-enter the UKLink opens in a new window.

Section 5: I have submitted a visa application and provided evidence to the Warwick University Immigration team, What happens next?

We will monitor your records and contact you within the visa processing times. As soon as you have been granted a visa, you will need to provide us with the evidence via this pageLink opens in a new window.

Failure to provide evidence will result in withdrawal from the course due to not meeting the compliance requirements

Section 6: I’ve lost my BRP/Passport, what should I do?

We are aware that a number of students have recently lost their BRP cards/had the BRP cards stolen because they carried the BRP card in their wallets. We would encourage all students to be careful with their BRP card and not carry this around on a regular basis whilst in the UK. You should only need to carry your BRP card with you when travelling outside of the UK.

If you believe you have lost your BRP card, please refer to the information on our website for guidance on what steps to take nextLink opens in a new window.

Section 7: I am a student on a Master’s degree and have been given a period of academic extension/ I am a student who is considering or have recently had a course change.
Do I need to make a new Student Visa application and when?

Please refer to our website for information about how academic extension/course change affects you, whether you need to apply for a visa under the Student Route, and whether you are eligible to do so from inside the UKLink opens in a new window.

If you need to extend your visa you will need to request a new CAS from our CAS request pages.Link opens in a new window

Section 8: Where can I get information and help about visa and immigration related matters?

All information on Visa and Immigration matters can be found on our Immigration websiteLink opens in a new window.

Section 9:Where can I find information about working whilst holding a Student visa?

For information on working on a Student visa please see the right to work webpageLink opens in a new window.

Section 10: Can I re-enter the UK on my Tier 4 or Student visa to attend my graduation ceremony?

Yes, as long as you have successfully completed your course and hold a valid Student visa. You should, however, carry sufficient evidence in your hand luggage in case you are questioned at the border.

Please read our guidance about re-entering the UK for Graduation and visas for your guestsLink opens in a new window.

Section 11: I have obtained a new passport but my visa is in my previous passport. Do I need to transfer it to my new passport?

For guidance please see following link to: Lost passport and visas.Link opens in a new window

Section 12: I am planning to travel to Europe. Where can I find out information about getting a visa to Europe?

For any non-EEA students wanting to travel to Europe, you may need a Schengen visa in order to do this. The Immigration Services team are unable to advise on this type of visa, but you can find useful information on our website in reference to: Travelling to EuropeLink opens in a new window.

Section 13: My degree will be awarded soon. What post study work visa options are there that I may be able to consider?

Please see our website for information on the different post study work visa optionsLink opens in a new window.

Section 14:I would like to withdraw from my course – how will this affect my immigration permissions?

For information on withdrawals and how this will affect your immigration permissions please see our 'Withdrawal and breaks in study'Link opens in a new window pages.

Page Change Log:

Page Audit Review:
Previous Review Date Reviewed By Next Review Date
13/Mar/2022 ISA: JL 13/Mar/2023
Page Updates:
Section Updated Sub Section Short summary of update Updated By Updated When
All All Page Created ISA: JL 13/Mar/2022