Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Medical Foundation Programme


Section 1: Purpose and Contents of this page:

This page has been created to give guidance for the Medical Foundation Programme

Please ensure you have carefully read the guidance provided for your situation BEFORE you contact Student Immigration.

Section 2: Visa for the programme

From 2022, all foundation trainees will need to apply for a health and care visaLink opens in a new window - International graduates will no longer be able to apply for a student visa.

If you are a trainee in England, HEE (Health Education England) will now sponsor you to remain in the UK, instead of your university.

If you are a trainee in a devolved nation, you will be sponsored by either Health Education Improvement Wales, NHS Education for Scotland or Northern Ireland Medical and Dental Training Agency.

You can apply as soon as you receive your confirmation of acceptance for studies from the foundation programme.

You might be able to bring family members to the UK, check GOV.UK for eligibility and more informationLink opens in a new window

Section 3: Travelling before starting the programme

If you plan to take a holiday outside of the UK before starting the programme in August, you must take the following documents with you that prove you have completed medical school in the UK and are returning to start the next stage of your training.

  • A copy of your skilled worker sponsorship letter from the foundation programme.

  • Confirmation letter of your place on the programme.

  • Confirmation from your medical school that you qualified as a doctor in the UK.

Section 4: If you have further queries and useful links:

Page Change Log:

Page Audit Review:
Previous Review Date Reviewed By Next Review Date
14/May/2022 ISA: YA 14/May/2023
Page Updates:
Section Updated Sub Section Short summary of update Updated By Updated When
All All Page Created ISA: YA 14/May/2022