Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Right to Study / Visas That Allow Study At The University of Warwick

subpage default banner section image

To undertake any study in the UK, the university is required to make a ‘right to study’ check before allowing any academic engagement.

Frequently asked questions

Please click on the relevant section below to expand the guidance.
  • Study means:

    Any academic engagement, whether award-bearing or not, with the University.

    This includes:

    Undergraduate courses

    Postgraduate taught courses

    Postgraduate research courses

    English Language courses

    International Foundation Programme

    Re-sitting examinations

    Re-submitting assessed coursework

    Attending a viva

    Undertaking a short course

    Visiting the University as part of a distance learning course

    Visiting PhD Research

    Visiting Undergraduate Research

    Any other activity that is not listed but is deemed as study by the immigration rules - contact us for further guidance

    but excludes:

    Attending a graduation ceremony

    Undertaking an internship (work)


    Research only placement

  • Automatic Right to Study:

    If you hold one of the following passports, and it is valid and in date, then you automatically hold the Right to Study in the UK at the University of Warwick:

    • A valid UK passport that states you are a British Citizen
    • A valid Irish passport that states you are an Irish Citizen
    • An EEA/EU/Swiss Passport, up until 31/Dec/2020.

    You will need to provide a copy of this as part of the admissions process.

    If you cease to be a British or Irish Citizen whilst you are enrolled at the University, you will become subject to a Right to Study Check as below.

    If you are not a British or Irish Citizen or you are an EEA/EU/Swiss national looking to enter the UK from 01/Jan/2021:

    You are subject to Immigration Control.

    This is also the case if you are a:

      • British Overseas Territories citizen
      • British Overseas citizen
      • British subject
      • British National (Overseas)
      • British protected person

    This means, before you can begin your course, you must present to the University your Valid proof of Identity (Passport / Travel Document) and confirmation of Right to Study Document (Visa) for a Right to Study check.

    Your immigration documents will then be checked to see if they are valid and confer the right to study:

    • If they pass:
      • You will be permitted to enrol
    • If they do not pass:
      • You will not be permitted to enrol.

    If you are unable to provide any evidence that meets the above criteria, education providers in the UK are not permitted to allow you to study.

    Please note:

    If your documents that confer the Right to Study, that is your Travel Document and / or visa, change, you will need to advise the University and undergo the Right to Study Check again.

  • There are many visa types which permit study at the University, some are issued specifically for study whereas other visa types permit incidental study:

    1: Study visas:

    Student visa issued for study at Warwick (previously known as Warwick Tier 4) - Not available for part-time study

    Short Term Study visa (until 1 December 2020)

    Visit visa (after 1 December 2020)

    These are visas that have been issued with a University of Warwick CAS, or, University of Warwick STSV support letter.

    You can not apply for either of these visas without a CAS (Student visa) or a support letter (STSV).

    Please note:

    The University will only issue these to offer holders or current students if they meet the eligibility criteria.

    For Offer Holders:

    These will be issued by Admissions:

        • You will will asked if you require a CAS / STSV Support Letter as part of the admissions process.
        • You will only be issued with your CAS / STSV Support Letter once you meet your offer conditions.

    Current Students:

    These will be issued by Student Immigration:

        • All CAS requests must be requested via our Webforms.
        • All STSV Support Letter requests must be requested via your department
    2: Other visas that permit incidental study:

    EU Settlement visa

    Tier 1 visa (including Start Up Route)

    Tier 2 visa

    Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme

    Tier 5 visa

    PBS Dependant visa

    Further Leave to Remain visa (FLR)

    Indefinite Leave to Remain visa (ILR)

    UK Ancestry visa (when completing online course registration you should choose the 'Limited Leave to Remain - Other visa' option as your visa type)

    UK Spouse visa (when completing course registration you should choose the 'Dependant Visa' option as your visa type)

    EEA / EU Family permit

    Refugee visa

    ARC - Subject to bail letter conditions

    Other/older visa types that are still valid AND allow for study - contact us to see if your visa allows study

    Please note:

    Whilst some visa categories do not prohibit studying, there may be some risks and restrictions if you undertake full-time study on a non-student visa.

  • We have included a web page which contains images of the most common types of visas that we see, which we hope may be useful for your reference.

    This list is not exhaustive and is for illustrative purposes only.

  • If, after reading the information on the Student Immigration & Compliance webpages, you are still unsure which type of visa is most appropriate for you, or whether the visa you currently hold permits you to study, please contact us for advice.