Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Immigration Responsibilities - Yours and Ours

Section 1: Purpose and Contents of this page:

This page has been created to give guidance on the responsibilities you have as an international student, and the university has as your institution.

Please ensure you have carefully read the guidance provided for your situation BEFORE you contact Student Immigration.

We strongly recommend that you watch our Welcome Presentation (14-minute long video) to help you understand what you need to be aware of whilst studying at Warwick as a Student Visa holder - see link to the video and slides in 'contents' section below.

Section 2: Your Immigration Responsibilities

It is important that, as an international student, you comply with the UK immigration regulations during your registration at the University.

You are required to:
  • Provide the University with a copy of your passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit. This includes providing the University with required evidence of entry to the UK, and a share code if you have a digital status which proves your right to study in the UK.
  • Provide the University with a copy of your ATAS certificate (if applicable)
  • Keep your UK contact details up to date with the University via:
  • Keep the Home Office informed of your up to date contact details
  • Enrol and Re-enrol for your course on time each academic year when you are asked to do so
  • As autonomous learners and active participants in your education, you are expected to take responsibility for managing your learning and your engagement with the course is demonstrated in many ways:
    • in attending all prescribed lectures, seminars, classes, meetings with your personal tutors/supervisor(s).
    • in preparing for and participating in classes or carrying out your own research
    • in directing your own learning beyond that specified by your teachers
    • in completing formative and summative assessment tasks
    • in monitoring and reflecting on your own progress
    • in taking the initiative in seeking support when necessary from their department and the wider University (e.g., Director of Graduate or Undergraduate Studies, Student Immigration and Compliance team, Students’ Union, Dean of Students, Wellbeing Support Services).
  • Ensure you meet the progression and engagement requirements of your course with no significant gaps or absences:
    • The levels of academic engagement expected of all students and the consequences of missing 'monitoring points' are clearly set out on your Course Handbook.
    • Each time you miss a 'monitoring point', you will receive an email reminder from the University. You are encouraged to meet with your personal tutor and seek support proactively when required.
    • Usually, poor attendance over a period of 6 weeks or more, or, missing multiple monitoring points will trigger further reminder emails, and may result in the University withdrawing visa sponsorship, and you being withdrawn from the course if you fail to re-engage.
    • Further guidance for attendance monitoring for International students can be found in the Engagement Monitoring FAQ's page.
  • Ensure you remain engaged with study or your work placement for any period of time abroad or elsewhere in the UK, whilst the University is still sponsoring your Student Visa.
  • Follow University processes if you decide to defer or suspend your studies, change your registration status, or withdraw from your course.
  • Leave the UK if you defer or suspend your studies, withdraw from your course, your course is terminated or if you are asked to re-sit without residence
You are strongly advised to consult our Change in your circumstances webpage to understand how such changes would affect your current immigration status.
You may wish to contact us for immigration advice if you are still unsure after reading the information on our webpages.
  • Apply for permission from the Home Office UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) if you change education provider to another approved Student Visa sponsoring institution.
  • Ensure you do not breach the conditions of your visa.

For example:

Do not break the rules on working

Do not claim public funds

Do not work as a Doctor or Dentist in training (unless you were on the MBChB course); an entertainer; or, a professional sports person (unless you are playing or coaching sports as amateurs while you study a degree-level course or above, or, you are doing it as part of a 'work placement' which is an integral and assessed part of your course)

    • Report any change of circumstance to the UKVI using the Migrant Change of Circumstances formLink opens in a new window
    • Ensure that you continue to retain a valid visa by extending or applying for a new visa before your current visa expires (if you are eligible to do so) and that you provide the University with a copy of any new visa/ immigration permission
    • Provide a copy of a renewed passport each time this is obtained

    Section 3: The University's Immigration Responsibilities

    The University has the following responsibilities and duties under the Points Based System which we are required to comply with in order to retain our Student Visa Sponsor Status and continue to invite international students to study at Warwick

    • To ensure that those students who require immigration permission to study in the UK have such permission
    • To keep copies of the current passport and visa/ Biometric Residence Permits for all students subject to immigration control in the UK. This includes keeping an electronic copy of a digital status where appropriate
    • To keep up to date contact details for our international students (and to keep a record of any changes of address)
    • To check the enrolment of our students and to report any failure to enrol to the Home Office
    • To monitor students’ engagement and progression and report to the Home Office any failure to meet the University’s requirements for progression and engagement as set out in the university regulation on student registration, attendance and progression
    • To monitor changes of status and to report deferrals, suspensions, withdrawals and course terminations to the Home Office
    • To notify the Home Office of any significant changes in your circumstances (such as the change of course or the successful completion of your course where this is earlier than expected)
    • To report any breach of visa conditions to the UKVI

    Section 4: If you have further queries and useful links

    If, after reading the guidance above, and you are still unsure of what you should do next, please contact Student Immigration to discuss your situation via the following methods:

      Please click on the following links for more information

      UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA):

      University of Warwick:

      UK Government:

      Other contacts:

      Page Change Log:

      Page Audit Review:
      Previous Review Date Reviewed By Next Review Date
      25/May/2022 ISA: SM 25/May/2023
      Page Updates:
      Section Updated Sub Section Short summary of update Updated By Updated When
      All All Page Created ISA: SM 25/May/2022