Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Work Placements

Section 1: Purpose and Contents of this page:

This page has been created to give guidance for work placement

Please ensure you have carefully read the guidance provided for your situation BEFORE you contact Student Immigration.

If you hold a Student visa, it may be possible to undertake a period of 'work placement', during which time you can work full-time.

This is only applicable if your academic department considers this to be an 'integral and assessed' part of your course (meaning you are enrolled on a module which is credit bearing and the work placement forms part of the assessment), and the total duration of the work placement is no more than 50% of the duration of your degree course. The modules need to be credit bearing.

The only exception is for courses where there is a statutory requirement for more than 50% of the work placement (this usually includes professional courses such as PGCE and MBChB).

There is no prohibition on receiving pay during the work placement.

Section 2: Undergraduate Students

You can work during course, If you are;

  • On a 4 year undergraduate course with placement year OR
  • On a 3 year course however it has a 4 year variant which includes placement year and you are allowed to transfer courses (speak to your academic department to learn about course transfer)

If you require a letter for your employer to confirm you can work on placement, please see section 5

Please note: If you are thinking of taking a gap year, you cannot keep your student visa as it will be reported to UKVI and curtailed. After completing gap year, you will have to make a new visa application to return to the UK and conitnue your studies.

Section 3: Postgraduate Students

Generally it is not possible to do a work placement while studying a postgraduate / Masters course. It may only be possible if the placement is an intergral and assessed part of the course meaning you are enrolled on a module which is credit bearing and the work placement forms part of the assessment), and the total duration of the work placement is no more than 50% of the duration of your degree course. The modules need to be credit bearing. If it is then, this would have already been part of the course from the start (this is not something that can be added to the course on adhoc basis)

Section 4: Research Students

In order for a research student to undertake a work placement it has to be classed as ‘integral and assessed’, and evidence that this is the case needs to be available to provide to the UKVI if requested. Failure to be able to confirm this means the student may be breaching the conditions of their visa which can have severe consequences.

Research student do not usually register on a credit-bearing module and so it would be rare for research students to be able to undertake a period of 'work placement'. However, there may be exceptions, for example, certain courses are structured with a period of assessed 'work placement' as detailed in the course approval documentation, or, if the research involves a compulsory data collection process which can only be undertaken when on a work placement.

If you are unsure, you should approach your academic department for further guidance in the first instance.

Section 5: Letter confirming you can work full-time during placement year

As part of the 'right to work' checking requirement, if you will be working full time in the UK during your work placement period whilst registered as a student (for undergraduate students, this usually means you are registered or have been transferred to a 4-year course with an intercalated year), your employer will most likely ask for a letter which confirms that you are able to work full time during this period.

Your academic department should be able to provide you this letter.

The letter should include details of the work placement, for example,

  • The start and end date of the work placement
  • What has been agreed that you will do during the work placement
  • A confirmation that the work placement is an integral and assessed part of your course and therefore, you are permitted to work full time within the duration of your work placement.
  • The percentage of work placement (if it is 1 out of a 4-year undergraduate then it will be 25%)
  • How the work placement will be assessed (you will usually be registered on a credit-bearing module on your work placement year and your department will be able to confirm the name of the module and how you will be assessed)

If you hold a Student visa, your academic department will also need to make a 'work placement' report to Student Records team so that the UKVI can be notified.

Once a report is made to the UKVI regarding your work placement, you will receive an automated email confirming this. You can use that email as additional evidence that the UKVI has been notified about the work placement during which you can work full time.

Section 6: If you have further queries and useful links:

If, after reading the guidance above, and you are still unsure of what you should do next, please contact Student Immigration to discuss your situation via the following methods:

    Please click on the following links for more information

    University of Warwick:

    UK Government:

    Other contacts:

    Page Change Log:

    Page Audit Review:
    Previous Review Date Reviewed By Next Review Date
    12 Apr 2022 ISA: YA 12 Apr 2023
    Page Updates:
    Section Updated Sub Section Short summary of update Updated By Updated When
    All All Page Created ISA: YA 12 Apr 2022