Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Applying inside the UK (Permission to stay)

I am a student banner section image

How to apply in the UK

You may also wish to look at:

Please click on the relevant section below to expand the guidance.
  • There are now 4 conditions that you must meet in order to make a Student Visa application from within the UK (see Student Visa Policy Guidance for more details).

    1. Your current visa type must permit a switch to Student Visa - You may be able to switch to a Student visa if you already have permission to be in the UK. You cannot switch to this visa if you have one of the following visas:
      a visit visa
      a short-term student visa
      a parents of a Child Student visa
      a seasonal worker visa
      a domestic worker in private household visa
      leave outside of immigration rules
    2. Your new course must start within 28 days of the expiry date of your current visa - for example, if your current visa expires on 1 September and your new course starts on 1 October, you cannot make a Student Visa application in the UK because the gap is more than 28 days. If your current Student visa expires after the new course start date, then you are eligible to apply for the Student visa in the UK.

    3. If you currently hold a student visa, you must meet the Academic Progression requirement. Immigration rules taking effect on 6 April 2016 mean that there will be more situations where a student will be required to apply from overseas, for example, if you have not successfully completed your current course and achieved the award for which your current Student visa is granted. Child student visa holders are exempted from this requirement.

    4. If you currently hold a student visa and the type of institution which sponsors your current student visa is listed (if it is a HEI/HEP with a track record of compliance*, an overseas HEI, an embedded college offering pathway courses, or an independent school), it will be fine to apply from within the UK. If your previous Student visa sponsor is a Further Education College, or any other type of institution not listed, then the new visa application must be made from outside of the UK. It is possible to confirm the type of institution from the Student Visa Sponsor Register. Child student visa holders are exempted from this requirement.

      * The Immigration rules changed on 1 August 2019 regarding the references to HEIs and introduced the term Higher Education Provider (HEP). If you are unsure after checking the Student visa Sponsor Register as to whether your previous institution is considered HEI or HEP, please do get in touch with us.

    If you do not meet all the four requirements above, then you will need to apply from outside of the UK.

  • Where is the application form: The application form can be found on the government's student visa section / extend your visa section. (On the linked page, scroll down to Apply and then click "Apply online")

    Help with completing the form: refer to the 'Guidance for students completing the online student visa Application form'

    When can I apply online: once you have received your CAS and gathered all the required documents, you can apply up to 3 months before your new course is due to start AND before the expiry date of your existing visa; for example, if the course start date in your CAS is 30 September 2021, you can apply after 1 July 2021. Warwick becomes responsible for you as soon as your new application is approved. If you are a continuing student, you will need to book an appointment with one of our International Student Advisers before a CAS will be assigned.

    Application process:

    UKVCAS customer journey

    Note: the 'Service Point' above refers to UKVCAS centres (UK Visa & Citizenship Application Services) - the nearest to Coventry and University of Warwick are the "Birmingham Core Service Point" or "Coventry Enhanced Service Point".

    Ways to apply: On the application form, you can choose one of the 3 following options:

    - Standard Service (decision expected within 8 weeks after the appointment, cost £494.20 inclusive of biometric enrolment fees);

    The UKVI are not offering the following services during the coronavirus pandemic:

    - Priority Service (decision expected within 5 working days after the appointment, cost £994.20 inclusive of biometric enrolment fees).

    - Super priority service (decision expected the next working day after the appointment, cost £1294.20 inclusive of biometric enrolment fees).

    You should consider which option to choose carefully when you make your application as you will not normally be able to complete course registration (online enrolment) until you have received your new visa (with certain exceptions - please refer to Enrolment FAQ for more information).

    In all cases, you are expected to receive your new BRP card within 7-10 working days after the date of decision (the UKVI will email the decision to you). Once you have made your visa application online, you should not travel outside of the UK until you receive your new BRP card as doing so will invalidate your visa application, and you may not be able to return to the UK with your current visa.

  • If you are an unconditional offer-holder and have received your CAS, or, if you are a continuing student who is eligible to make a Student visa application in the UK, it is possible to obtain assistance from the Immigration Service. We offer a face-to-face service (appointments to be conducted via video call or telephone during the coronavirus pandemic) for immigration advice, document checking and/or submission via the 'Application Checking Service' (with limited service in the months of August and September), where you can make an appointment to meet a trained immigration adviser in the Student Immigration and Compliance Team who will check and/or help you submit your Student visa applications to the UKVI (Home Office - UK Visas & Immigration).

    To make use of this service we advise you to complete the majority of the student visa online application form (using our sample form but without submitting), and bring your passport, visa and other supporting documents before making an appointment to see an Adviser. Please also note that for eligible low risk nationals, you will be required to bring financial evidence and academic qualifications (if stated on your CAS) to your appointment as well to avoid the risk of a visa refusal in case you are asked to provide these documents at a later date.

    If you are registered on the 10-week or 6-week Pre-sessional English language course and require a visa extension in the UK, you will receive bespoke information from the Immigration Service team before the start of the Pre-sessional course, and you will be allocated a 'visa tutor' when you arrive in the UK to help you manage the process.

    If you do not live locally or if we are unable to offer assistance under this scheme during the period of limited service, you will need to make your Student visa application independently. Make sure that you read the guidance on this website carefully before making your application. If you encounter genuine difficulties, do contact the Immigration Service and an adviser will try to help you by email.

    If you submitted your visa application independently but used our correspondence address as detailed on the 'Application Guide' (perhaps because you are moving house over the summer), please complete our 'Independent Application Notification Form' so that we can contact you when we receive any correspondence or your new visa from the UKVI. Please note due to the situation with coronavirus we are unable to take delivery of permission to stay BRP cards so you are advised not to use the University correspondence address in your visa application - this is covered in our application guidance. 

  • Your offer email will state how much are the course fees (for continuing students, refer to Student Finance Tuition Fee Table - you will need to evidence the outstanding course fees for the current academic year or the full course fees for the next academic year if you requested your CAS after the end of Term 1 and you will continue studying in the next academic year).

    The same information will be in your CAS when you receive it. Please note that the UKVI calculates the maintenance requirement based on the course duration (or the remaining course duration if you are continuing on a course), rounding up for part month. For example, if your CAS states that your course starts on 30 May and ends on 1 October, you should prepare 5 months of maintenance because the course duration is 4 months and 2 days.

    You will also need to evidence £1,023 a month for maintenance (living costs) for each month of your course duration (continuing students should refer to the remaining course duration), up to a maximum of 9 months.

    Therefore, if your course duration is 9 months or more you will need to evidence £9,207 of living costs in addition to the course fees specified on your CAS.

    Course fees (full or partial) and some accommodation deposits/fees already paid to the University can be deducted from the amount you need to evidence as long as your CAS has been updated with this information. So, the total amount you need to prepare can be worked out using this formula:

    Course fees due in your CAS – any fees/deposits already paid to the University in your CAS – any accommodation fees already paid to the university (up to £1,265) in your CAS + living costs (£1,015 x number of calendar months of studies, up to £9,135)

    Remember: funds must have been held for a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than 31 days before the date of your application.

    28 days amd 31 days

    Click 'how to evidence money required' for more information about what is considered as acceptable financial evidence, and find useful samples/templates.
    • Completed Student visa online application form: (click 'Apply online'). Please refer to our Application Form Guidance which gives useful information on how to answer the questions on the visa application form
    • Appropriate visa application fees that you will pay online by credit or debit card - the amount varies depending on the type of application you choose
    • Appropriate Immigration Health Surcharge fees that you will pay online by credit or debit card for the Immigration Health Surcharge (£470 from 26 Oct 2020, per 12 months of study, to be paid online when submitting the visa application. Part years of 6 months or less will be charged at half price. EU students may be eligible for a refund of this - see GOV guidance).
    • CAS (to be obtained from either Admissions or Immigration Service) - copy and paste the CAS number to the visa application form
    • Passport(s) - current passport - scanned copy needs to be uploaded and original brought with you when you attend the appointment at a UKVCAS centre.
    • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) - if you have been issued one - scanned copy needs to be uploaded and original brought with you when you attend the appointment at a UKVCAS centre.
    • Police Registration Certificate (if your visa/BRP/Home Office letter has 'pol(ice) registration' on it- make sure it is updated with your current address/marital status) - if you are not sure if you are required to register, then please double check on the link below, as failure to register with the police when you are required to do so may result in a caution or financial penalty. for more information please visit our Police registration section. A scanned copy needs to be uploaded and we advise that you bring the document with you when you attend the appointment at a UKVCAS centre.
    • Financial Evidence: If you are a low risk national or have been living in the UK for 12 months or more then you do not need to submit financial evidence confirming you have the required funds for course fees and maintenance, although you should prepare this even if you are not required to submit it. Funds can be in your Personal Account (must be cash funds in the bank, including savings accounts and current accounts), or the Personal Account of your Parents or Legal Guardians**; OR, a loan letter (the loan must be provided by your national government, state or regional government, or by a government sponsored student loan company or be part of an academic or educational loans scheme); OR official financial or government sponsorship *** available to you. (Please refer to the frequently asked questions about how to evidence money required).

    Scanned copies need to be uploaded and we advise that you bring the documents with you when you attend the appointment at a UKVCAS centre.

    ** If you are using a parent or legal guardian's bank statement as evidence of your finances, you will need to provide documentary evidence of their relationship to you (usually a Birth Certificate or a legal document confirming guardianship) and that they agree for you to use the funds for your studies (usually a Letter of Consent). Moreover, the definition of 'Legal Guardian' may be different in different countries but for your Student visa application, a 'legal guardian' is someone who has either legally adopted you (in which case you must present an 'Adoption Certificate') or someone who has been given legal custody of you by the Court (in which case you must present a court document/order as confirmation of this).
    *** Please note that in most cases, sponsorship by family or relatives is not considered as 'official financial sponsorship'. If the official sponsor is an international company, the best way to evidence this is to provide print-outs from a website, or a letter including a web-link, which shows contact details for offices in more than one country.
    • Evidence of Financial Sponsor's consent to complete studies (if you have been financially fully sponsored over the last 12 months to study a course in the UK and you have completed that course):
      • This must confirm that your sponsor has no objection to you continuing your studies in the UK.
      • If you previously received scholarship from the University of Warwick, the sponsor's consent is not required.
      • If you are required to submit this, scanned copies need to be uploaded and we advise that you bring the documents with you when you attend the appointment at a UKVCAS centre.
      • If you were previously fully sponsored and continued to receive payments of a lesser amount, you do not need to provide sponsor consent if the last time you were fully sponsored is more than 12 months before the date of your new visa application.
      • If you have not completed your course (for example, you are extending your visa following an academic extension), you do not need to provide sponsor consent.
    • Your academic qualification - You do not need to submit qualification if you are going to study a degree level course
      (if specified in the 'Evidence used to obtain offer' section of your CAS): Low risk nationals are not required to submit this. Continuing students are not usually required to submit this either.

    If you have an IB (online award) or have taken A levels in the current academic year (where official certificates are not released until November), it is acceptable to submit the online print-out as long as it is certified by the issuing school/body, or, accompanied by a letter from your school confirming the same results. If the qualification specified in your CAS is NOT the qualification for which your current visa is granted, you must submit written confirmation that you have successfully completed your current course as evidence of 'academic progression'.

    • Certificate of English language qualification (If specified in the 'Evidence used to obtain offer' section of your CAS): Low risk nationals and continuing students are not required to submit this.

    Do not submit an English language certificate if you will be studying a degree level course AND your CAS states that the University has made its own assessment of your English language ability. If you will be studying a sub-degree level course (e.g., Pre-sessional English, Diploma course or International Foundation programme), ensure that you scan and upload the same 'IELTS for UKVI' certificate as stated in your CAS, which should be valid at the time you submit your visa application (see English language Test and Certificate)

    • ATAS certificate (if stated on your CAS): this is required for certain science and technology courses at Undergraduate Master's or Postgraduate level as specified in your CAS. A scanned copy needs to be uploaded.

    Additional documents which may be required:

      • If you use an overseas account containing a foreign currency, you will also need to convert the closing balance into pounds sterling on the 'date of application', which is the date you made payment of the Student visa application fees. You should obtain currency conversion by going on the website (this is the Home Office approved currency conversion website) and upload a scanned copy from the website with your visa application if you are required to submit financial evidence with your visa application.
      • For students with dependants: if your spouse is applying as your dependant at the same time or separately, you will need to submit your Marriage certificate (unless the relationship is already established in a previous dependent visa application) and evidence that your relationship is subsisting; If you have children applying as your dependant(s) at the same time or separately, you will also need to submit their Birth Certificate(s). Scanned copies need to be uploaded.

      If you are 16 or 17 years old when making your visa application, you will also need to upload a scanned copy of your parents' consent letter. The letter must confirm:

      • 1) their relationship with you (i.e., they are your legal parents or legal guardians);

        2) that your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have given their consent to your application; and

        3) that your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have given their consent to you living independently in the UK; and

        4) that your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have given their consent to your independent travel to the UK (if applying from overseas).

        If you have only one parent or legal guardian, or only one who has legal custody or whole responsibility, this must be confirmed in the letter as well. If this statement is not provided, the letter must be signed by both parents and legal guardians.

        You must also provide evidence of your relationship with your parent(s) or legal guardian(s). Acceptable evidence includes one of the following documents:

        a) your birth certificate showing the names of your parent(s),

        b) your certificate of adoption showing the name(s) of your parent(s) or legal guardian(s),

        c) a court document naming your legal guardian(s).

      • If any of your documents are not in English you must upload a scanned copy of a fully certified English translation by a professional translator/translation company. This translation must include: 1) details of the translator/translation company’s credentials; 2) a statement confirming that it is an accurate translation of the document; 3) the translator/translation company’s contact details; 4) date of translation and the signature of the translator or an authorised official of the translation company.

      The University is unable to assist in the translation of documents but there are a couple of local translation companies that may be able to assist you. Their details are below:

      Please note that we are not recommending these companies but are simply providing contact details. You are advised to check the charge for any translations when you make initial contact with any company.

      Alternatively, some embassies may offer a translation service for official documents in their language and there are also qualified individuals and other private companies specialising in translation services. You should, however, ensure that any translations meet all four of the Home Office translation requirements as detailed above.

    • You will need to bring the original passport and BRP/Visa to your visa appointment, however, for the rest of the documents, they no longer need to be original hard copies; you can upload scans of these as part of your visa application. We also advise that you store a scanned copy of these documents in a USB stick and bring with you when you attend the appointment in case there is any technical error with the document uploaded.

    • Once your application is deemed valid by the Home Office (you have paid the visa application fees and Immigration Health Surcharge successfully, there are no missing documents and your application form is completed correctly), and you have attended your appointment and provided biometric data, your application will be forwarded to a caseworker who will make a decision about whether to grant you a visa and for how long. Depending on the type of service you choose this may take 8 weeks (standard) or 10 working days (priority) or next day (super priority).

      Your new BRP will then be sent to the correspondence address stated on your application form and this will be within 7 working days after the UKVI has sent you the decision via email. The BRP will be sent by 'signed for' service so you should ensure that someone is at your home address to sign for the delivery. Once you have the new BRP, you will need to return your old BRP to the UKVI by cutting it in half and post it to them (you can find detailed instructions on the decision email).

      Remember, if you submitted your Student visa application independently but used our correspondence address as detailed on the 'Application Guide', let us know so that we can contact you when we receive correspondence or your BRP card from the UKVI.

    • You should check for errors when you receive your visa to ensure that it has been issued correctly, for example, your personal details, the length of your visa and conditions of your visa (police registration, working permission etc..). If there is any error, please visit our Reception and we will advise you accordingly.