Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Change of nationality or immigration category

If you started a course holding a non-EEA passport and a Tier 4 visa, but either changed nationality or changed to a different type of visa (for example, you now have a PBS dependant visa or a Tier 2 visa etc.) before your 'course end date', please read further guidance below.

I have changed my name

If you have changed your name, you need to let the UKVI know within 3 months, or you may be fined.

For information on how to do this, see the change of circumstances form on the UKVI website.

When you receive your new visa, please inform the Student Immigration and Compliance team at the university by submitting an image of your new visa.

You will also need to inform the Student Records team of your new name so that they can update your record on the system.

I have changed nationality - I am now an EEA citizen

If you changed your nationality from a non-EEA country to an EEA country (i.e., you are now holding a EEA or Swiss passport), please visit us with your new passport so that we can update our records. If you previously held a Tier 4 visa, following the change of nationality you will no longer be subject to the conditions of your Tier 4 visa, and we will need to make a report to the UKVI to stop sponsoring your Tier 4 visa.

If you receive a curtailment letter (which cancels your Tier 4 visa) from the UKVI some time after the report, do not worry - your new nationality means you are no longer subject to immigration control and so a lot of the standard wording in your curtailment letter (including the date you must leave the UK) should not apply to you. If you are worried, visit us with your curtailment letter and ask to speak with an International Student Adviser.

I have obtained a new nationality - I am still a non-EEA citizen but now have dual nationality

If you have dual nationality and both are from non-EEA countries, as long as you continue to re-enter the UK using your first nationality then there is nothing further you need to do.

If you wish for the University to have your dual nationality on the student records, please contact the Student Records team with a copy of your new passport and ask for your new nationality to be added to your records.

I have changed nationality - I am still a non-EEA citizen but have renounced my previous nationality

If you obtained your new passport (with the new nationality) in the UK, you will need to make a Transfer of Conditions application. It costs £161 and takes 8 weeks for a decision, and you should receive your new BRP card about 7 days after the decision.

If you obtained your new passport (with the new nationality) outside of the UK, and your previous passport has been cancelled, you will need to follow these steps:

1) Apply for a replacement biometric residence permit visa and state on the application form (or provide a letter to explain) that you are making this application because you have changed nationality. You will receive a 30-day visa to enable you to travel to the UK with your new passport.

2) Once in the UK, make a Transfer of Conditions application. You will then receive your new BRP card with the new nationality.

Please ensure that once you receive your new passport and BRP card, that you visit us so that we can update our records.

I have changed my visa category. How do I notify you that I have received a new visa?

We will need to see and verify your new visa or passport in person.

Please visit us with your original document(s) as soon as possible so that these may be verified and your records updated.

If you are unable to visit us in person for whatever reason, please complete the web form. You will be asked to upload a copy of your new document(s).

You will then need to visit us with your original document(s) at a later date as agreed by us.

What happens when you verify my new visa?

Upon verifying your new visa or passport, we will amend your student record by uploading a copy of this evidence and we will notify the UKVI of this change and that we are no longer sponsoring you under Tier 4.

You will receive a copy of the email that we send to the UKVI about the withdrawal of your sponsorship for your information.

Please note that when studying on a visa other than Tier 4, there may be certain risks and restrictions you need to be aware of.

Our website provides details of these.