Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

English Language Test and Certificate

subpage banner image

More information about English language tests and certificates

You may be aware that the Home Office UKVI (UK Visas & Immigration) announced major changes to the Secure English Language Tests (SELTs) which would be acceptable for use in UK visa applications in April 2015. As a result, from 12 November 2015, only IELTS taken in test centres approved by the Home Office (and have 'UKVI reference number' printed on the test certificate) will be acceptable for use in a UK visa application. The list of acceptable SELT has since been reviewed and updated by the UKVI and you can find the latest approved list of SELT on GOV website.

For ease of understanding, we will refer to this type of test as 'SELT for UKVI'.

The majority of the applicants and offer holders who wish to pursue degree-level study (undergraduate degree, Masters degree or PhD) are not required to have a 'SELT for UKVI'. This is because the University of Warwick is a Higher Education Institution (HEI) and a Student visa sponsor and so is permitted to set our own policy on English language assessment.

If you wish to take the Pre-sessional English course (PSE), for 2020/21 entry the PSE course is delivered online which means you will not require a visa to undertake the course. Therefore, you will no longer require a 'SELT for UKVI' to apply for the PSE.

Please also be aware that if you are applying for the Pre-sessional English course or a degree level course or above, our admissions team will only consider the most recent test results you have taken. Therefore, if you have taken an English test multiple times, please submit only the most recent test result with your application/to meet your offer condition, and all your earlier test results will be ignored when the latest one is received.

Frequently asked questions

Please click on the relevant section below to expand the guidance.
  • As stated above, the University of Warwick continues to accept a variety of English language tests and certificates when you apply for a course to study with us, and this English language requirement applies to both EU/EEA students, international students who require a Student visa, and international students who do not require a Student visa.

    Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the University has expanded the types of acceptable English language tests for 2020/21 entry. Please refer to the detailed and the most up to date English language requirements to secure an offer of a place here:

    Undergraduate courses

    Postgraduate courses

    WMG full time Masters courses

    International Foundation Programme

    Study Abroad/Exchange courses

  • For offer holders pursuing a below degree level course, for example, the IFP course, taking a 'SELT for UKVI' is mandatory. This is because the University is not permitted to assess your English language abilities independently.

    Prior to the Coronavirus pandemic, having a 'SELT for UKVI' would also have the benefit of enabling you to apply for a Student visa to attend the Pre-sessional English language course (PSE), where you were unable to meet your offer conditions for the main course in time to secure a 'combined CAS'. However, in 2020/21, the PSE course has been moved to online delivery which means you would no longer require a Student visa to attend the PSE.

  • This will depend on the course you will be studying at Warwick.

    If you will be studying a course at degree level and above (this includes undergraduate degrees and postgraduate degrees - all at RQF level 6 or above), as an HEI (higher education institution) and Student visa sponsor, the University of Warwick is able to make its own assessment of your English language ability. The University has taken the decision that for all such students, your CAS will state that the University has made its own assessment of your English language abilities. This means that you should choose 'Your sponsor is an HEI and has made its own assessment' on your Student visa application form (provided that your CAS contains the same information), and you do not need to provide an English language certificate with your Student visa application.

    Please note that due to the Immigration rules change on 5 October, if you receive a CAS on or after 5 October 2020, your CAS will contain more detailed information on how your English language is assessed but you still don't need to submit evidence of this with your visa application. The UKVI, however, may request this information, once you have attended your visa appointment. If you received a CAS before 5 October 2020 but are making your visa application on or after 5 October 2020, there is no requirement to amend your CAS and you do not need to include English language certificate with your visa application.

    If you will be studying a course below degree level (Warwick International Foundation programme at RQF Level 3 or a Diploma course at RQF Level 5), the University is not permitted to make its own assessment of English language ability. Therefore, if you will require a Student visa to study the course, you must ensure that you take a 'SELT for UKVI' test that the University accepts in order to be assigned a CAS. Your English language scores and UKVI reference number will be listed on your CAS and you will need to provide the relevant details when applying for a UK Student visa.

  • Approval has been given for 2020/21 admissions cycle to accept TOEFL iBT (Special Home Edition), Duolingo English Test and LanguageCert International ESOL SELT C1 (direct entry without PSE only), in addition to the more 'traditional' tests such as IELTS.

    Because the PSE course has moved to online delivery for 2020/21, you will not require a Student visa to come to the UK to study the PSE course. If you are already in the UK and wish to remain in the UK for the PSE course, please contact us (click on 'Online Enquiry Form' at the foot of this webpage) so that we can help you explore your visa options.

    If you decide to take the PSE course because you do not meet the direct course entry requirements but require to take the PSE in order to meet the requirements, your English language condition for the main course will be updated once you receive and accept an offer for the PSE course. Once you meet all other offer conditions (i.e., when you have accepted an unconditional offer for the main course), you will be eligible for a CAS.

    The Admissions team would usually start their CAS process 3 months prior to your main course start date. If you are enrolled on the PSE course, you will be contacted from week 3 of your PSE course regarding a CAS for your main course.

    You do not need to wait until you have finished or passed the PSE course to apply for a Student visa. However, we would expect that you would continue to meet the attendance, engagement and academic requirements for the PSE regardless of when you receive your CAS and successfully complete the course - please refer to your main course offer for further information.

  • For more information about: