Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Immigration Responsibilities - Yours and Ours

Your immigration responsibilities

It is important that, as an international student, you comply with the UK immigration regulations during your registration at the University.

You are required to:
  • Present your original passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit at a 'right to study' check.
  • Provide the University with a copy of your ATAS certificate (if applicable).
  • Keep your UK contact details up to date with the University via:
  • Keep your UK contact details up to date with the Home Office .
  • Re-enrol for your course on time each academic year.
  • Study whilst you are in the UK, ensuring that you meet the progression and attendance requirements of your course with no significant gaps or absences.
  • Ensure you remain to be engaged with study or your work placement for any period of time abroad or elsewhere in the UK, whilst the University is still sponsoring you under Tier 4.
  • Follow University processes if you decide to defer or suspend your studies, change your registration status, or withdraw from your course.
You are strongly advised to consult the Immigration Service for advice on how such changes would affect your current immigration status.
  • Leave the UK if you defer or suspend your studies, withdraw from your course or your course is terminated or if you are asked to re-sit without residence
You should seek immigration advice if your student registration changes in any of these ways.
  • Apply for permission from the UK Visas & Immigration (Home Office) if you change education provider to another approved Tier 4 sponsoring institution.

If you last applied for student leave to remain after 5 October 2009, you must apply for a new Tier 4 visa, for which you will require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from Warwick.

You can start your new course before the Home Office has approved your new Tier 4 application and will be permitted to enrol provided that you present the letter of acknowledgement from the Home Office following receipt of your application.

UK Visas & Immigration state that students in this situation will start their new course at their own risk, as it is possible that the Home Office may refuse your application.  

  • Ensure you do not breach the conditions of your visa:

For example:

Do not break the rules on working

Do not Claim public funds

Ensure you register with the Police, if required, and update your Police Registration Certificate within 7 days of any change to your circumstances.

  • Report a change of course where the course is shorter than the course you got permission to stay for to:

Further information can be found under 'More Information' on the UK Visas & Immigration webpage about which changes of circumstance you are advised to report.

  • To ensure that you continue to retain a valid visa by extending or applying for a new visa before your current visa expires and that you provide the University with a copy of any new visa.
  • To ensure you present the University with your renewed passport each time this is obtained. We must see the original.

The University’s immigration responsibilities

The University has the following responsibilities and duties under the Points Based System which we are required to comply with in order to retain our Tier 4 Sponsor Status and continue to invite international students to study at Warwick.

  • To ensure that those students who require immigration permission to study in the UK have such permission.
  • To take and keep copies of the current passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permits for students to whom we have issued a CAS and who are granted their visa.
  • To keep up to date contact details for our international students (and to keep a record of any changes of address).
  • To check the enrolment of our students and to report any failure to enrol to the Home Office.
  • To monitor students’ attendance and progression and report to the Home Office any failure to meet the University’s requirements for progression and attendance as set out in the University Regulation on Student Registration, Attendance and Progression.
  • To monitor changes of status and to report deferrals, suspensions, withdrawals and course terminations to the Home Office.
  • To notify the Home Office of any significant changes in your circumstances (such as the change of course, change of study location or the successful completion of your course where this is earlier than expected).