Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Visa Information

Information and guidance on which type of visa will be required for the Summer School.

Do I need Immigration permission to study at the Warwick Summer School?

To check whether or not you need immigration permission to study at our Summer School please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website as immigration (visa) regulations can often change.

What type of immigration permission do I need to study at the Warwick Summer School?

The University of Warwick has a specialist Immigration and Compliance team who can assist Summer School students with visa applications. A lot of our Summer School students will need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa, as this is the most appropriate.

The Warwick’s Immigration ServiceLink opens in a new window website is a useful source for information and advice about Standard Visitor Visas.

In some cases you may want to apply for a different visa depending on your circumstances i.e. you are a teacher or you may already have a visa that is valid until after the programme finishes which you may be able to use this to attend our Summer School. There are separate webpages about Right to Study/Visas that allow study at The University of Warwick if the Standard Visitor Visa route doesn't apply. We recommend you get in touch to discuss your visa arrangements.

If you have any questions about visas, please contact the Immigration and Compliance team on their Contact Us form.

Please note, they provide information and advice, but they do not issue visa support letters. The Summer School team will do this (see below for more about this).

Where do I apply?

This depends on your nationality. If you are a 'visa national', you must apply outside the UK. Visa nationals always need a visa prior to entering the UK. You can check if you are a visa national on the websiteLink opens in a new window.

If you are a 'non visa national' you can choose to apply at the embassy in your own country for permission before you leave, or alternatively you can bring all your documents and apply at the border when you arrive in the UK. If you apply at the airport on arrival there is no charge.

Please see Warwick's Immigration ServiceLink opens in a new window for details on where to apply. There is a heading which says, "How do I apply for a Standard Visitor Visa Route?" If you are ever asked for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number - you are most likely applying for the incorrect visa. A CAS number is only issued to full time students who require a Student visa for a course longer than 6 months.

What documents do I need to submit?

We strongly advise you read through Warwick's Immigration ServiceLink opens in a new window carefully when you apply. To find out which documents and financial evidence you should provide with your visa application, please read the sections "What are the document requirements/how to fill out the Standard Visitor Visa application form?".

Reading this page thoroughly before applying for your visa will help to eliminate any chance of visa refusal.

How will I get a visa support letter?

Once you have received an offer of a place by email and paid for your Summer School tuition fees (either a deposit or full payment), the Summer School Admissions Team will provide you with a visa support letter which can be used to apply for your visa. Visa support letters are sent to you electronically within one week of your tuition fee payment being successfully completed, provided you have attached all the relevant supporting documents with your application such as your passport copy. We may need to ask for further documents such as your passport copy to ensure the details on your visa support letter are accurate.

Please note, we only start to send these out from February onwards (you cannot apply any more than 3 months before you intend to travel).

We will ask you to choose your accommodation preference when paying for tuition fees as this will be stated on your support letter. We advise you to wait until you receive your visa before paying for your accommodation just in case you receive visa refusal, as the accommodation team are unable to offer refunds.

You should pay your tuition fee for the Warwick Summer School as early as possible to ensure you leave plenty of time for the visa process.

If you have any questions about your visa support letter, you can contact the Summer School Admissions Team

What if my visa is refused?

If you receive a visa refusal you should contact Warwick’s Immigration Service who can give you advice on how to proceed.

If your visa is refused, in line with our cancellation charges, we will refund you the following amounts:

Date of course cancellation Refund amount
Written notice of cancellation more than 42 calendar days prior to the first day of the course 100% refund, minus £50 non-refundable application fee
Written notice of cancellation between 29-41 days prior to the first day of the course: 50% refund, minus £50 non-refundable application fee
Written notice of cancellation less than 28 days prior to the first day of the course: 0% refund

Please also see our terms and conditions.