Ancient Drama Festival 2019
The students and staff at the University of Warwick Department of Classics and Ancient History would like to invite teachers and students to our Annual Ancient Drama Festival for Schools on Friday 25 January 2019. The day will focus around a performance of Aristophanes’ Frogs, directed by Kelsi Russell. The play will be produced by the Classics students at Warwick, and will be performed at the Warwick Arts Centre. Supporting the performance, the Department is offering a series of lectures and seminars specifically for school students to link in with Latin, Greek, Classical Civilisation, Ancient History, Drama and English syllabuses at GCSE and AS/A2 (no previous knowledge of the subject area or play will be expected). These include:
- Dr Michael Scott (Professor of Classics) on ‘Aristophanic comedy and society’
- Dr Emmanuela Bakola (Associate Professor of Ancient Greek Language and Literature), on ‘Why does Dionysus choose Aeschylus at the end of Frogs?’
- Professor C.W. Marshall (Professor of Classics, University of British Columbia) 'Aristophanic comedy: serious laughter?'
- Dr David Fearn (Reader in Greek Language and Literature): 'Aristophanes Up Close' (seminar-workshop)
- Dr Marchella Ward (Archivist/Researcher, Archive of Performances of Greek and Roman Drama, University of Oxford) 'Staging Aristophanic Comedy'
The day will begin at 11am and finish at 5pm. The event is FREE, but attendees are asked to organise their own transportation and lunch. For detailed timings, access information and other enquiries please email our Outreach Assistant, Harvey Aungles (H dot Aungles at warwick dot ac dot uk). If you wish to book, please email Harvey Aungles with the (approximate) number of students by 23 December 2018.
If the Friday performance is fully booked, or an evening event is preferable, you can also book yourselves for the performance of the 24th of January (7.30 pm), which will be preceded by a talk on Frogs by Professor C.W. Marshall and Dr Emmanuela Bakola (at 6.30pm). Tickets for the Thursday performance and talk are £6 only (bookings for this performance will open soon at the Warwick Arts Centre website).
Get a taste of the Frogs music in this teaser!
by Kirk Hastings, (Choir Leader with Rock Choir, Freelance Composer, Primary Music Teacher)