Skip to main content

Applying for withdrawals and change of study location

Temporary Withdrawal

If, for any reason, you are not able to study for a period of more than two or three weeks, it is essential that you contact your supervisor, and ask about the advisability of applying for a Temporary Withdrawal. If he or she thinks this is advisable, both you and your supervisor should notify the Director of Graduate Studies in writing about your circumstances. The Temporary Withdrawal (TWD) form is online here. You should complete sections 1 - 3 and attach medical evidence where appropriate.

Temporary Withdrawals are, effectively, time-out from your period of registration: you will not be liable for fees during this period, and this period will not count towards the total time allowed for your doctoral study. Withdrawals are normally granted for periods of up to six months in the first instance. If you are AHRC-funded, or funded by any other source, it is essential that you and your supervisor also contact them to clarify your funding position. Note that it is only possible to apply for a withdrawal during the first three years of full-time study (or first five years of part-time study). It is possible to arrange for Library privileges to continue while on Temporary Withdrawal.

Permanent Withdrawal

It occasionally happens that a postgraduate student decides that it is necessary to discontinue his or her studies altogether, without the intention or possibility of returning. In this event, you should contact your supervisor and the Director of Graduate Studies as soon as possible to discuss the reasons that led to this situation. Withdrawing from the course is not difficult, but the decision, once taken, is final, so it’s important that all people involve understand the situation clearly. Award holders should be aware that in some cases there might be financial penalties for withdrawing from their course. The University will not reimburse tuition fees. You will need to complete a PWD form and return it to the Postgraduate Programmes Officer.

Change of Study Location (CSL)

Where you plan to study away from Warwick for more than three months, regardless to the location - within the UK or outside the UK - you will need to get approval from the DGS first. Once you have received an approval, the Director of Graduate Studies will complete a Change of Study Location form on your behalf. During this time you will remain registered at the University and our Tier 4 sponsorship duties will continue. You are expected to maintain regular contact with your supervisor and to record your meetings in Tabula. Completing a Change of Study Location form means that you give your consent to your leave being reported to the UK Border Agency. You must inform your supervisor and the Postgraduate Programmes Officer when you have returned to Warwick at the end of your CSL period. For more information see the Graduate School's page on CSL.