Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Permanent Withdrawal

We hope that you will want to complete your course at Warwick and before choosing to withdraw there are other avenues you may wish to explore. These include the possibility of changing course, restarting, taking a temporary withdrawal or a voluntary year out. Permanently withdrawing from your studies means that you have decided to stop studying at the University of Warwick and that you have no intention of returning to continue your programme of study in the future.

However, if you do decide to withdraw you are strongly advised to consult your Personal Tutor/supervisor in the first instance. You may also find that meeting with advisers from the Student Careers & Skills team help you to plan your next steps. The Student Funding team will be able to give you advice regarding the implications for any student loans/bursaries/scholarships you may have. Once a decision to withdraw permanently is made, you should complete the form on the Student Records Online system, which will submit it to your department. You will need to provide your last date of attendance and select a reason for your withdrawal.

Your department will confirm the last date of attendance and this will be processed by Student Records. You will be notified in writing.

Students are advised to read carefully through the permanent withdrawal form guidance section before submitting their request.

Issues to note:


If you are considering withdrawing from your studies and are contracted to a Warwick Accommodation managed property, please contact them as soon as possible at, they will then be able to inform you of the correct procedure to follow. Students will not be eligible for residence on campus once permanently withdrawn.

If you are living in University campus accommodation, any refund in rent will be calculated from the date of your withdrawal or the date you vacate your accommodation, complete a key return form ( and return your room keys to Senate House, whichever is the latter.

University off campus accommodation contracts require a suitable replacement to be found before you can be released from your contract.

If you are living in University Managed accommodation and have any questions about your departure, please email Warwick Accommodation at

If you are in privately rented accommodation, you will need to speak to your landlord or agent to check your obligations. If you need advice, then contact the SU Advice Centre at


Student Finance will calculate any fees that you are owed using the last date of attendance given on this form. Students who withdraw after an advance maintenance payment has been made will be asked to repay any funds no longer due. You can call Student Finance on +44 (0)24 7652 8103 or +44 (0)24 7652 3872. You can find further information at:

Council Tax
If you withdraw from your studies, you are strongly advised to contact the relevant local authority's Council Tax office for guidance regarding Council Tax. Please also note that if the local authority determines that you must now pay Council Tax you may be eligible for a discount if all other residents do have student exemption. You must make those you share with aware of this change to your status as it may also affect any student disregard they have applied for.

International students
If you require student entry clearance or leave to remain (a ‘visa’) to study in the UK, permanent withdrawal from your course is likely to affect your permission to remain here in the UK. Furthermore, if you are a sponsored student, i.e. you were issued with a CAS by Warwick that you used to obtain your Tier 4 visa, and you decide to stop studying, the University is required to stop sponsoring you. We are required to withdraw your CAS, and report your permanent withdrawal from your course to the Home Office – Visa & Immigration.
As you would no longer have a valid Tier 4 sponsor, you would then be required to leave the UK. In order to return to the UK to resume your studies, you would need to apply to us for a new CAS in order to apply for a new Tier 4 visa. If you were to try to return to the UK on your old visa, you would be likely to encounter problems on re-entry. If you are intending to switch to another Tier 4 institution within the UK, you must inform the University so that we can let the Home Office – Visa & Immigration know that you intend to continue studying elsewhere. Switching to another Tier 4 institution may mean that you are not required to leave the UK once you have withdrawn from Warwick and this is something that you should discuss with an immigration adviser at the University.
All international students who wish to withdraw permanently from their course are strongly advised to make an appointment to discuss their individual situation with the University’s Immigration and Compliance advisers: +44 (0)24 7657 5229 or immigrationservice at warwick dot ac dot uk.

Centre for Student Careers and Skills
Students withdrawing before the completion of their course are entitled to use the Centre for Student Careers and Skills for three months from their formal date of withdrawal from the University. For further advice, please contact by phone: +44 (0)24 7652 4748 or by email on careers at warwick dot ac dot uk

Dean of Students Office
The Dean of Students promotes the academic welfare of students and is a sympathetic person to whom students can turn in confidence for support. The Dean of Students' Office is located on the Second Floor of Senate House (Room SH2.17). Normal office hours are Monday - Thursday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm and Friday 9.00 am to 4.00 pm.

For general enquiries the Dean of Students' Office can be contacted on:

Email:; Tel: 024 7652 2761

The Dean of Students can be contacted on:

Email:; Tel: 024 7652 2429

Each Faculty has a Senior Tutor. The Faculty Senior Tutors are:

Dr David Lees - (Faculty of Social Sciences)

Email:; Tel: 024 7652 3331

Dr Helen Toner - (Faculty of Science, Engineering and Medicine)

Email:; Tel: 024 7652 3326

Rachel Dickinson - (Faculty of Arts)

Email:; Tel: 024 7652 2847

Wellbeing Support Services
If you have issues which are not directly academic-related, please contact Student Support Services on +44 (0)24 7657 5570; studentsupport at warwick dot ac dot uk

Student Advice Centre
The Students’ Union offers a free, confidential and independent advice and representation service which provides support for a variety of issues, including housing, immigration, money, academic, health, legal issues, consumer rights and employment:

Data Protection
All student data is collected, processed and disclosed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 and will be treated as confidential. Any information you provide will only be seen by a small number of University staff who monitor the provision of student services. If you are funded by a UK Research Council, the University is required to inform the relevant funding body of your withdrawal date and the reasons why you have decided to leave.


Contact us

Get in touch with us using our contact form.

tel: +44(0)24 7657 4333




Useful links:

Council Tax Guide

Degree Ceremonies


Doctoral College


Module Results

Student Finance

Term dates

Visa guidance