Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Change of Study Location / Work Placement

For further information in relation to the 'change of study location', please check the Immigration & Compliance team's webpage: 

What is a change of study location?

In order to comply with our immigration responsibilities, we are required to report to the Home Office when students sponsored on a Student Visa will be studying in a different location for a period of three months or longer (for undergraduate students, this means 3 months or more during term time).

It is important to remember that if you change your study location from the University campus to elsewhere for a period of less than 3 months you should still keep your academic department informed of this so they can ensure they keep in touch with you and that your attendance/engagement is still being monitored.

If you do not hold a Student Visa, then you will only need to obtain the approval from your academic department and no report will be made to the UKVI.

What do I need to do if I am planning to study away from my usual location?

If you are intending to change your study location you must discuss this with your supervisor in the first instance. If agreed, your department will provide the details to Student Records using the online form in Student Records Online, who will provide the required information to the Home Office. We are required to report any changes to the Home Office within 10 days of any change occurring, so it is important that you discuss this with your department as soon as possible.

Do I need to do anything when I return?

We are also required to inform the Home Office when you return from your change of study location. Please report this as soon as possible on your return via the Change of Location form on Student Records Online, selecting 'return to Warwick', to enable us to make the necessary report to the Home Office.

What if I am not planning to study while I’m away from the University?

If you are intending to take a short period of time (up to 42 days) away from your studies, for example as a short holiday or for medical treatment you can request a period of authorised absence.

If you are planning to be absent from the University for a longer period of time you should consider requesting a period of temporary withdrawal. You may wish to seek advice from the Immigration Advice team in relation to the effect on your visa status.