Absolute Beginners only. This module is offered to students with no prior knowledge of Portuguese. Due to the 'accelerated' aspect of the module, evidence of prior linguistic achievement (e.g. a GCSE A* grade in another European language) is essential.
- To understand and communicate in familiar and routine situations, using frequently used expressions
- To gain an insight into Lusophone societies
- To develop strategies for language learning
- To achieve A2 standard of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference)
This is a 24 or 30 CREDIT module.
Teaching and Learning
One weekly blended session for 21 weeks, organised as:
- Two-hour face-to-face language class on campus
- One-hour online class on Teams
- Some independent study will also be set
If health & safety restrictions are required, teaching may move online.
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore for a 30 credit module, the minimum expected amount of study is 300 hours, which averages over 10 hours per week. A substantial amount of independent study is therefore required. Students can make use of Moodle to facilitate this.
Term 1: One interim test (10%)
Term 3: One reading/writing test (50%) + one speaking test (40%)
João Pedro Vicente Faustino
Course Textbooks (must be bought by student)
- Português em Rede - Nível A1, by Catarina Castro, Lígia Borges and Mónica Sofia Pereira, Porto Editora, ISBN: 978-972-0-17017-0
- Português em Rede - Nível A2, by Lígia Borges and Ana Rita Nunes, Porto Editora, ISBN: 978-972-0-17059-0
- Gramática Ativa 1 - Versão Portuguesa, by Isabel Coimbra and Olga Mata Coimbra, Lidel, ISBN: 978-972-757-638-8
Note: The two textbooks above (Português em Rede A1 and A2) can be bought individually, as physical items or ebooks. A discounted pack for both textbooks (e-book version) is available to University of Warwick students.
This module offers an opportunity for students to develop their communicative competence in Portuguese. For those students intending to travel to Portuguese-speaking countries, either for study or on work placements, this fast-paced module can promote confidence-building for communicating with native speakers abroad and helps you achieve a higher level of proficiency in one year than in non-accelerated modules.
Successful completion of Portuguese Beginners Accelerated qualifies students to progress to Portuguese Intermediate Accelerated.
By the end of the module, students should be able to
- understand the essentials of grammar and syntax;
- demonstrate a competency in basic writing
- understand short texts in the target language
- demonstrate a reasonable standard of pronunciation and be able to communicate orally in basic situations
- understand spoken language
- show a range of vocabulary and strategies for dealing with unknown vocabulary
The syllabus will include the following:
This module will cover items such as: greetings, introductions, asking for and giving personal information, describing people and places, daily routine, likes and dislikes, making plans and talking about past events.
This module will provide an introduction to fundamental features of Portuguese and essencial basic structures, making it possible to function in a range of everyday situations using the present and past tenses.
Subject-specific and transferable skills
- Written and spoken communication
- Strategies for understanding gist and specific information
- Intercultural Awareness, Professionalism, Digital Literacy, Teamwork, Problem-solving
Can count towards the Warwick Award: