You are a complete beginner, knowing virtually nothing of the language.
You will develop competence in a range of predictable simple everyday language tasks. The course will provide a very basic knowledge of the structure and vocabulary of the language.
Please read our Can-do Statements (link on the right of this page) to see the competences which you will be working towards and can achieve by the end of the year.
Teaching will be delivered fully online on MS Teams.
There will be one weekly two-hour online session for 19 weeks.
Momente A1.1 Kursbuch plus interaktive Version, Deutsch als Fremdsprache, Sandra Evans, Angela Pude, Franz Specht ISBN 978-3-19-001791-1
Momente A1.1 Arbeitsbuch plus interaktive Version, Deutsch als Fremdsprache, Sabine Glas-Peters, Angela Pude, Monika Reimann, Daniela Niebisch ISBN 978-3-19-011791-8
A copy of the coursebook and the exercise book can be purchased from the University bookshop
Based on a step-by-step approach, the course is divided into learning blocks each of which focuses on practical, useful and manageable language.
Every lesson will start with revision from the previous week. Homework will be given.
- Talking about oneself and one's family;
- Talking about work and studies;
- Talking about likes and dislikes;
- Talking about hobbies and leisure activities;
- Ordering food and drinks;
- Asking for and giving prices;
- Talking about time;
- Expressing feelings;
- Talking about daily routines;
- Making appointments;
- Talking about holidays and travel;
- Talking about past activities
- Verb conjugation;
- present tense;
- definite and indefinite articles;
- question words;
- word order;
- personal pronouns;
- negation with "nicht" and "kein";
- possessive adjectives;
- accusative case;
- separable verbs;
- modal verbs;
- present perfect
- listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Subject-specific and transferable skills
- Written and spoken communication
- Strategies for understanding gist and specific information
- Intercultural Awareness, Professionalism, Digital Literacy, Teamwork, Problem-solving
Can count towards the Warwick Award