You are a complete beginner, knowing virtually nothing of the language.
You will develop competence in a range of predictable simple everyday language tasks. The course will provide a very basic knowledge of the structure and vocabulary of the language.
Please read our Can-do Statements (link on the right of this page) to see the competences which you will be working towards and can achieve by the end of the year.
1 x 2 hour class per week plus some independent learning.
Course Text (must be bought by student):
- Nuevo Prisma Nivel A1 - Libro del Alumno + CD, Edinumen, ISBN: 978-84-9848-365-9
Nuevo Prisma Nivel A1 - Libro de Ejercicios + CD, Edinumen, ISBN: 978-84-9848-367-3
A copy can be purchased from the University Bookshop.
Based on a step-by-step approach, the course is divided into learning blocks each of which focuses on practical, useful and manageable language. You will develop cultural awareness of the Spanish speaking world. You will have access to online resources for a more independent learning.
Homework tasks will be set each week to consolidate what you have learnt in class.
- the alphabet and pronunciation;
- introducing yourself (nationality, occupation, age)
- useful sentences in the classroom;
- describing people;
- describing your home;
- family and relationships;
- asking for the price of something;
- travelling and transport;
- telling the time;
- days of the week.
- interrogative words;
- gender and number agreement;
- singular and plural;
- subject pronouns;
- possessive pronouns;
- formal and informal speech;
- common prepositions;
- present tense of regular verbs;
- present tense of some irregular verbs: 'tener', ‘ser’, ‘ir’, ‘querer’, ‘preferir’;
- listening, speaking, reading and writing.