This course will not be offered in 2020/21.
For information on the alternative module running in 2020/21 - LL194 Spanish Intermediate, please see the link below:
Pre-requisite: Successful completion of LLL Spanish Intermediate or equivalent level A2 standard of CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference).
Description of entry level: You will probably have completed over 200 hours of tuition or had some learning of the language at A level, up to grade C or equivalent. While being able to express yourself reasonably well and quite accurately, some of the language spoken at native speaker speed still escapes you and feel the need for more intensive practice, both in speaking and in writing.
- To understand and produce more complex language in a variety of contexts.
- To strengthen reading and writing skills.
- To increase vocabulary and deepen grammar competence.
1x two-hour weekly session.
Course Texts (must be bought by student):
- Nuevo Prisma B1 - Libro del alumno + CD + Extension digital. Edinumen. ISBN: 978-84-9848-637-7. New edition.
- Recommended: Nuevo Prisma B1 - Libro de ejercicios + Extensión digital. Edinumen. ISBN: 978-84-9848-639-1
Based on a step-by-step approach, the course is divided into learning blocks each of which focuses on practical, useful and manageable language.
You will develop cultural awareness of the Spanish speaking world.
You will have access to online resources for a more independent learning.
Homework tasks will be set each week to consolidate what you have learnt in class.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- identify information, ideas and opinions relating to familiar topics in extended speech; understand the main points of authentic spoken passages or conversations in a range of different contexts.
- understand articles and reports in which writers express opinions or viewpoints; infer meaning from a range of complex texts.
- give clear, detailed descriptions and factual information on a range of subjects; participate fully in conversations on general topics ; present a clear coherent argument, with appropriate examples
- write texts about personal experiences expressing views and feelings; write informal and some formal texts; produce coherent texts in different registers.
Please read our Can-do Statements (link on the right of this page) to see the competences which you will be working towards and can achieve by the end of the year.
- Spanish around the world
- social norms
- travel and holidays
- social networks
- Fair Trade
- revision of past tenses
- present subjunctive
- future perfect
- perfect subjunctive
- indefinite pronouns
- contrast between subjunctive and indicative
- ‘ser’ and ‘estar’
- expressions followed by the subjunctive
- the subjunctive when expressing feelings
- ‘por’ and ‘para’
- listening, speaking, reading and writing