UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK
Summer Examinations: 2000/2001
GENERAL PAPER: TRADITIONS & INSTITUTIONS OF WESTERN ART
Time allowed: 3 hours.
Candidates must answer TWO questions.
Read carefully the instructions on the answer book and make sure that the particulars required are entered on each answer book.
1. Should entry to museums and galleries be free?
2. What do you understand by Visual Culture?
3. Whose interests are served by conservation?
4. Define a gendered architecture.
5. How helpful is critical theory to art-historical practice?
6. 'In a multi-cultural society, everybody's heritage needs to be recognised' (Sir Neil Cossons, Environment Review Steering Group, 2000). Discuss.
7. Is the history of art best left to art historians?
8. Do images of nudes always presume male viewers?
9. Is there such a thing as a feminine aesthetic?
10. Are artists' studios workshops?
11. How have artists' uses of apocalypse imagery changed over the centuries?
12. Can one 'read' images?