UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK
Summer Examinations: 2000/2001
THE ARTS IN A COMMERCIAL SOCIETY: BRITAIN c.1750-1790
Time allowed: 3 hours.
Candidates must answer THREE questions.
Read carefully the instructions on the answer book and make sure that the particulars required are entered on each answer book.
1. Why was the Royal Academy so divisive an institution?
2. Was it necessary for painters to cultivate niche markets during this period?
3. Would it be reasonable to identify a 'legacy' of Hogarth c. 1764-90?
4. How were portraits utilised to manipulate public reputations?
5. Are Reynolds's Discourses theoretically coherent?
6. Define the relationship between the fine arts as practised in London and in the provinces.
7. Did Fancy Pictures sanitise the image of the poor?
8. Was a public art possible in a commercial society?
9. How did landscape painting relate to economic developments?
10. Did this period see the development of an art of empire?