UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK
Summer Examinations: 2000/2001
ROME BEFORE AVIGNON: PAPAL PATRONAGE IN ROME 1198-1304
Time allowed: 3 hours.
Candidates must answer THREE questions.
Read carefully the instructions on the answer book and make sure that the particulars required are entered on each answer book.
1. Is the fresco of The Promulgation of the Jubilee correctly identified?
2. Trace the development of the altar-ciborium in the period.
3. Do tomb effigies tell us anything about portraiture?
4. How do the crypt murals at Anagni relate to painting in Rome?
5. How unified is the façade mosaics programme of Santa Maria Maggiore?
6. When did Pietro Cavallini execute the mosaics in Santa Maria in Trastevere?
7. What rôle did the French papacy play in the introduction of Gothic style into the Roman region?
8. Did Frederick II's classical tastes have a political intent?
9. How significant were Cosmati floor mosaics for Roman church planning?
10. How innovative was the Coronation of the Virgin mosaic by Jacopo Torriti?