UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK
Summer Examinations: 2001/2002
ART IN NORTHERN ITALY 1100-1600 - I
Time allowed: 3 hours.
Candidates must answer THREE questions.
Read carefully the instructions on the answer book and make sure that the particulars required are entered on each answer book.
1. Characterise the altarpiece compositions of Paolo Veneziano.
2. How appropriate is it to describe the mosaic tympanum of the Porta S. Alipio as an "eye-witness" account?
3. Trace the influence of the decoration of the church of San Marco on subsequent Venetian painting.
4. What rôle did the iconography of trades and crafts play in Venetian public monuments?
5. How self-conscious was the use of spolia in Venetian architecture?
6. Discuss the relationship between Church and State in Venetian art.
7. Is there a distinct narrative tradition in Paduan art?
8. What were the aims of the paintings executed for the scuole in Venice and how were these achieved?
9. Discuss the relationship between tradition and innovation in Giovanni Bellini's images of the Madonna and Child
10. What was the motivation for Sansovino's remodelling of the San Marco area?
11. What evidence do post-1480 Venetian paintings show of the close observation of nature?
12. How far were scenographic considerations significant in sixteenth-century Venetian architectural design?