UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK
Summer Examinations: 2001/2002
ROME BEFORE AVIGNON I
Time allowed: 3 hours.
Candidates must answer THREE questions.
Read carefully the instructions on the answer book and make sure that the particulars required are entered on each answer book.
1. Did the Venetian mosaicists in S.Paolo fuori le mura have a lasting influence?
2. Were the Cosmati more than merely makers of church furniture?
3. Has Frederick II's enthusiasm for the Antique been exaggerated?
4. "... unquestionably designed by a northerner and largely executed by Frenchmen." Is Robert Branner's view of San Francesco at Assisi correct?
5. Did portraiture exist in thirteenth-century Rome?
6. Why were Orvieto and Viterbo more receptive than Rome to northern gothic?
7. Characterize the Roman tomb designs of Arnolfo di Cambio.
8. What were the artistic links between Rome and Assisi?
9. Analyse the development of Roman façade mosaics.
10. Did Roman thirteenth-century architecture amount to more than repair or recycling?
11. Has the importance of Boniface VIII's artistic patronage been over emphasised?
12. Compare Jacopo Torriti's treatment of the Infancy of Christ with that of Pietro Cavallini.