UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK
Summer Examinations: 2001/2002
EUROPEANS IN AUSTRALASIA I
Time allowed: 3 hours.
Candidates must answer THREE questions.
Read carefully the instructions on the answer book and make sure that the particulars required are entered on each answer book.
1. Was the art of the Cook voyages produced to an Admiralty brief?
2. Was anything about Hodges' Pacific landscapes European?
3. Assess the significance of the panoramic view in colonial Australia.
4. Does early colonial art evidence an interest in ethnography?
5. What do we learn from Augustus Earle's work in Australia?
6. Gauge Governor Macquarie's impact on the arts.
7. Was the Picturesque significant in early colonial art in Australia?
8. Can one speak of a convict art?
9. Was nineteenth-century Australian art concerned with country house portraiture?
10. Compare and contrast the pastoral visions of Joseph Lycett and John Glover
11. Did the Heidelberg painters invent the Australian landscape?
12. Were European artists alienated by eucalypts?