WHEREAS a benevolent female society under the title of the Humane Impartial Society has been established in the city of Baltimore, for the purpose of employing and relieving widows and educating orphans, under the direction of managers appointed by the members of said society; And whereas, this general assembly is desirous to encourage and give permanence to so useful an institution, therefore,
1. BE IT ENACTED, by the General Assembly of Maryland, That the female members of the Humane Impartial Society, as well as those who shall hereafter become members, shall be, and they are hereby created and made a corporation and body politic, by the name, style and title, of The President and Managers of the Baltimore Human Impartial Society, and by that name shall have succession, and be capable in law of purchasing, building, selling, leasing and conveying, lands and tenements, goods and chattels, and other property real and personal; Provided, that the value of theproperty by them at any one time held shall not exceed the value of forty thousand dollars; and to sue and be sued, plead and be impleaded, and to make, have and use a common seal, and the same to break, alter and renew at pleasure, and in general to do all acts and things which may be necessary to carry into effect the provisions of this charter.
2. AND BE IT ENACTED, That Mrs. Mary Coulter, president, and Mrs. Keziah Norris, Mrs. Sarah Macdonald, Mrs. McPherson, Mrs. Liddle, Mrs. Peterkin, Mrs. Hartshorn and Mrs. Hagerty, be, and they are hereby declared to be, the president and managers of the said institution under this charter, and shall act as such until an election shall take place in the manner hereinafter directed.
3. AND BE IT ENACTED, That Alexander McKim, Esquire, the Reverend John Glendy, the Reverend Frederick Beasley, the Reverend John Hargrove, Philip Lawrenson, Doctor Joseph Brevitt and the Reverend Alexander McCaine, and their successors, to be appointed as is hereinafter directed, shall be, and they are hereby appointed trustees of the said Humane Impartial Society; and in case of death, resignation, or removal out of the state, of any of the said trustees, it shall be in the power of a majority of the members of said institution, at a meeting held for the purpose, to fill such vacancy or vacancies, so that such number of seven trustees be kept up and continued for and during the continuation of this act; said trustees shall be so apportioned, that each religious persuasion in the city of Baltimore shall be represented; that is to say, one for each of the following societies: Baptists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Swedenborgians, Catholics, Friends and Methodists; and the members of the Humane Impartial Society are hereby authorised to assemble and meet at such time and place as they may agree upon, then and there to choose and elect by ballot, of the female members of the said society, a president, secretary, treasurer and seven directors, to superintend the regulation and management of the said society; that no member of said institution shall have a right to vote who may not have paid up all arrearages due at the period of said election, and the said president, secretary, treasurer and directors, shall be in like manner annually appointed, so that the number of seven directors be kept up for and during the continuance of this act; and by a majority of voices of the members of said institution, to ordain, establish and put in execution, such by-laws, ordinances and regulations, as to them shall seem conducive to the interests of the said institution, and necessary to the good government and orderly management thereof, the same not being contrary to the laws of this state or of the United States; and generally to do and execute all such acts, matters and things, and in such manner and form as to them shall seem proper, in order the more completely to carry into effect the purposes of this act; Provided always, that a majority of the managers in being, shall always be necessary to form a quorum for the transaction of business.
4. AND BE IT ENACTED, That the aforesaid trustees and their successors, by the name aforesaid, shall be able and capable in law, to receive all conveyances of property, real and personal, for an on behalf of the said corporation, and shall hold the same; and all sums of money belonging to the said corporation in trust, for the use, and subject to the order and disposition of the president and managers of the said corporation for the time being, and shall be able and capable in law to sue and be sued, plead and be impleaded, answer and be answered, defend and be defended, in all or any court of justice whatsoever; and also to make, have and use a common seal, and the same to break, alter or renew at pleasure.
5. AND BE IT ENACTED, That this charter and act of incorporation,
and every part thereof, shall be good and available in all things in the law, according to the true intent and meaning thereof, and shall be construed, reputed and adjudged in all cases most favourably on behalf of the said institution, so as most effectually to answer the valuable ends intended to be answered thereby.
6. AND BE IT ENACTED, That this act shall be and continue in force until the first day of November eighteen hundred and twenty-seven, and until the end of the next session of the general assembly that may happen thereafter.