Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions


Q. Are the Warwick Translates workshops for translation between English and other languages?
A. No. They are only for translation from other languages into English.

Q. Are the Warwick Translates workshops only for translation from the languages listed?
A. Yes. In the future, we may be able to add to these. But note that the theatre translation workshop is non-language-specific.

Q. For whom is Warwick Translates intended?

A. The summer school is aimed at Anglophones with an advanced knowledge of one or more other languages, whether undergraduates, graduates or others, including practising translators. This is both to develop attendees’ skills and give them an insight into the profession of literary translator.


Q. May I attend Warwick Translates if I am not a native Anglophone?
A. Only if you have mother-tongue competency. Non-Anglophones are asked to take a short test, and acceptance is at the discretion of the tutor in that language.

Q. I am a native Anglophone, but not from the UK. Am I eligible?
A. Yes. Any native speaker of English, whether from the UK or any other English-speaking country, is eligible.

Q. I am bilingual (from birth) in English and another language. Am I eligible?
A. Yes.

Q. I am already studying/practising translation. Are these courses for me?
A. Yes: the courses are designed to be of interest to those with some translation experience, or a lot, or none. They offer an opportunity to work in a group situation under the supervision of leading professional translators who will share their knowledge and expertise with you.

Q. Does Warwick Translates provide a translation qualification?
A. No. There are many excellent translation courses in the UK and elsewhere which offer a full programme of study. The summer school is intended to give a taste of good translation practise, and we hope that those whose appetite is whetted may think about pursuing their interest further elsewhere. All students successfully completing the summer school will, however, be awarded a certificate signed by the co-directors.

Q. Is it better or worse for this programme if I have more than one foreign language?
A. Neither. You can attend sessions in either one or two languages.

Q. How do I apply for a bursary?
A. To apply for a bursary please email Dr Holly Langstaff at You can apply for a bursary before and after making the registration payment. The deadline for bursary applications is 22 March 2019. Your email should be no longer than 700 words and should outline:

  • if you are an internal or external applicant;
  • what language stream(s) you intend to follow at the summer school;
  • current status and relevant experience working in and/or studying translation;
  • how you would benefit from the summer school;
  • the contribution you would bring to the summer school.

Q. What does the course fee cover?
A. It covers the workshops, lunches, and free lunchtime and evening events. It does not include the conference dinner or the trip to the RSC, Stratford. It does not cover travel or accommodation.

Q. Can I attend just part of the summer school?
A. We would strongly discourage this, as the class-based courses will only be of real use if you attend the whole event. If you were to attend only part, you would still have to pay the fee in full. However the evening talks are free and open to non-participants.

Q. How is the teaching distributed if I have more than one foreign language?
A. You can choose whether to attend morning or afternoon classes in your ‘first’ or ‘second’ foreign language. Normally we expect people to attend the morning classes in their first and afternoon classes in their second. The only difference is that the morning classes will tackle one long text while the afternoon classes will focus on several shorter texts, so you should stick to your choice (mornings or afternoons) throughout the week. In theory, you could study more than two languages, but it is most beneficial to keep to two. If you would like to join a second language workshop in the afternoon, please email course co-ordinator Dr Holly Langstaff at

Q. I am not from the European Economic Area. What should I do about visas and immigration controls?
A.The University has to ensure that any non-EEA students coming to study at Warwick have Right to Study in the UK. We can issue supporting letters for students who require them once registration payment has been received.

Non-Visa nationals, such as students from the USA, can enter the UK on an Entry Clearance Stamp as a Student Visitor, which is obtained on the border. The entry clearance is valid for 6 months and students can study any short course within that period. However they would need a supporting Letter from the University confirming the details of the course to show to the UK Border Force.

Visa nationals, such as Chinese students, have to apply for a Short Term Study Visa back home. They would also need a supporting Letter.

All students must go through the registration and have their passports/visas checked and verified when they arrive at Warwick. Visa and passports are usually checked by the School of Modern Languages and Cultures office or the International Office at the University of Warwick.

Please email any queries or requests for supporting letters to