Matt undertook his first degree at the University of DurhamLink opens in a new window, in Collingwood College Link opens in a new window(1999 - 2003) achieved a First Class honours and Prize for his final year project (undertaken with Prof Randall Richards and Prof Lian HutchingsLink opens in a new window). He stayed on to complete his PhD (2003 - 2007) with Professor Neil Cameron Link opens in a new window(now at Monash, Aus). After this he undertook a postdoc with Prof Harm-Anton Klok Link opens in a new windowat EPFL, Switzerland (2007-2009). He was then appointed to Warwick at the end of 2009 as a Science City Fellow, to set up his own research group. He has since been promoted to senior research fellow (2011), Assistant Professor (2012), Associate Professor (2015) and in 2016 to a personal Chair (full Professor) joint between Chemistry and Warwick Medical School.
Matt's research interests span glycosciences and biomaterials science to address global healthcare challenges. His group has made particular contributions in developing new biomaterials for cell storage and freezing, new sensors for the rapid detection of infection, and technologies for cell-engineering. His research team exploit polymer and carbohydrate chemistries, cell culture, protein expression and analytical science tools.
Matt also seeks to translate his research, filing 7 patents, and in 2021 co-founded the Biotechnology company Cryologyx, with former Postdoc Dr Thomas Congdon. Matt is also a Royal Society Industrial Research Fellow (with Cytivia) and leads the MRC iCASE PhD program, for joint academic/industry PhD projects.
Please see this page for full publication listLink opens in a new window. As of 2021 Matt has published 150 research articles and review papers.
Awards and Recognition
- RSC Horizon Prize. Chemical Biology: Rita and John Cornforth Award. 2022
- McBain Medal for Colloid and Interface Science (Soc. Chem. Industry and RSC). 2021
- ERC Consolidator Grant - 2020-2025
- Royal Society Industry Fellow (With GE Healthcare/Cytivia) - 2019 - 2023
- Biomacromolecules/Macromolecules Young Investigator Prize - 2018
- Elected Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry - 2016
- PAT (Polymers for Advanced Technologies) Young Talent Award 2015.
- RSC/Dextra Carbohydrate Group Medal 2015. (Young/mid career prize) 2015
- ERC starting grant. 2015-2020
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy 2015
- RSC Emerging Technologies Life Science Prize 2014
- RSC MacroGroup Young Researcher's Medal 2012
- Birmingham Science City Independent Fellowship 2009
- PhD presentation Prize (Durham) 2006.
- Delivered over 80 invited lectures including 11 keynotes
- New investigator issues of Chem Commun, J. Mater. Chem., Macromol. Rapid. Commun., Carb. Res., (2012 - 2016)
- Council Member and Trustee, High Polymer Research Group 2021 -
- Editorial Advisory Board - ACS Polymers Au 2021 -
- Executive Board - European Polymer Journal 2019 -
- Chair; RSC Carbohydrate Group (2017-2019)
- Editorial Advisory Board - ACS Biomacromolecules (2018-)
- Editorial Board - Polymers for Advanced Technologies (2017-)
- Editorial Board (Chemistry manuscripts) - Scientific Reports (2016-2018)
- Editorial Board - FutureScience (2016-2020)
- MacroGroup UK Committee Member (2013 -2018 )
- RSC Carbohydrate group Treasurer (2013- 2017)
Email: m dot i dot gibson at warwick dot ac dot uk
Phone: (+44) 0247 65 24803
Office: MAS 4.06 (chemistry) or MB20 (WMS)
Address: Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL
University of Durham, Collingwood College.
- MChem, 1st Class honours, 1999 - 2003,
- Ph.D in Macromolecular Chemistry, 2003 - 2007.
- EPFL, Switzerland. Postdoctoral research associate in the group of Prof. Harm-Anton Klok, 2007 - 2009.
- University of Warwick, Department of Chemistry, SCIRA Research Fellow, 2009 - 2011
- Univeristy of Warwick, Department of Chemistry, SCIRA Senior Research Fellow, 2011 - 2013
- Assistant Professor, 2012 - 2015
- Associate Professor 2015 - 2016
- Full Professor 2016 - Personal chair between chemistry and Warwick Medical School