Matt undertook his first degree at the University of Durham, in Collingwood College (1999 - 2003) achieved a First Class honours and Prize for his final year project (undertaken with Prof Randall Richards and Prof Lian Hutchings). He stayed on to complete his PhD (2003 - 2007) with Professor Neil Cameron (now a colleague joint between Warwick/Monash). After this he undertook a postdoc with Prof Harm-Anton Klok at EPFL, Switzerland (2007-2009). He was then appointed to Warwick at the end of 2009 as a Science City Fellow, to set up his own research group. He has since been promoted to senior research fellow (2011), Assistant Professor (2012), Associate Professor (2015) and in 2016 to a personal Chair (full Professor) joint between Chemistry and Warwick Medical School.
Matt's research interests span glycosciences and biomaterials science to address global healthcare challenges. His group has made particular contributions in developing new biomaterials for cell storage and freezing, as well as new sensors for the detection of infection. This encompasses carbohydrate and polymer chemistry and a lot of analytical science, making use of Warwick's excellent facilities.
Awards and Recognition
- Royal Society Industry Fellow (With GE Healthcare) - 2019 - 2023
- Biomacromolecules/Macromolecules Young Investigator Prize - 2018
- Elected Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry - 2016
- PAT (Polymers for Advanced Technologies) Young Talent Award 2015.
- RSC/Dextra Carbohydrate Group Medal 2015. (Young/mid career prize) 2015
- ERC starting grant. 2014
- RSC Emerging Technologies Life Science Prize 2014
- RSC MacroGroup Young Researcher's Medal 2012
- Birmingham Science City Independent Fellowship 2009
- PhD presentation Prize (Durham) 2006.
- Delivered over 80 invited lectures including 11 keynotes
- New investigator issues of Chem Commun, J. Mater. Chem., Macromol. Rapid. Commun., Carb. Res., (2012 - 2016)
Executive Board - European Polymer Journal
Chair; RSC Carbohydrate Group (2017-2019)
Editorial Board - ACS Biomacromolecules (2018-)
Editorial Board - Polymers for Advanced Technologies (2017-)
Editorial Board (Chemistry manuscripts) - Scientific Reports (2016-2018)
Editorial Board - FutureScience (2016-)
Senior Editor - Journal of Interdisciplinary Nanomedicine (JOIN)
MacroGroup UK Committee Member (2013 - )
RSC Carbohydrate group Treasurer (2013- 2017)
Phone: (+44) 0247 65 24803
Office: MAS 4.06
Address: Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL
University of Durham, Collingwood College.
- MChem, 1st Class honours, 1999 - 2003,
- Ph.D in Macromolecular Chemistry, 2003 - 2007.
- EPFL, Switzerland. Postdoctoral research associate in the group of Prof. Harm-Anton Klok, 2007 - 2009.
- University of Warwick, Department of Chemistry, SCIRA Research Fellow, 2009 - 2011
- Univeristy of Warwick, Department of Chemistry, SCIRA Senior Research Fellow, 2011 - 2013
- Assistant Professor, 2012 - 2015
- Associate Professor 2015 - 2016
- Full Professor 2016 - Personal chair between chemistry and Warwick Medical School