Teaching Responsibilities 2019/20:
Term 1: MA398 Matrix Analysis and Algorithms
Research Interests: My primary research interests lie at the interface between scientific computing, numerical solutions for partial differential equations, physical systems modelling (in particular fluid mechanics and acoustics), asymptotic analysis and industrial mathematics.
The developed methodologies are used to address technologically relevant problems in areas such as microfluidics, water retention on aircraft surfaces, spray atomisation and electrohydrodynamics. I am also active in a more general industrial mathematical modelling setting, with previous projects in computational acoustics (perfectly matched layers in particular), operational research and performance optimisation in flow-related devices (e.g. vacuum pumps, pesticide sprays). I often participate in Study Groups with Industry, as well as events within the UK Fluids Network as part of several Special Interest Groups.
I have in the past worked within the Oxford Mathematical Institute as Hooke Research Fellow (2017-2019) and the Department of Mathematics in Imperial College London (2011-2017). I maintain active ties with both institutions, as well as several other UK-based and international groups.
Most relevant recent publications:
- R. Cimpeanu, M.R. Moore, Early-time jet formation in liquid-liquid impact problems: theory and simulations, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 856, 764-796, 2018, doi: 10.1017/jfm.2018.704.
- R. Cimpeanu, D.T. Papageorgiou, Three-dimensional high speed drop impact onto solid surfaces at arbitrary angles, International Journal of Multiphase Flow 107, 192-2017, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2018.06.011.
- T.G. Anderson, R. Cimpeanu, D.T. Papageorgiou, P.G. Petropoulos, Electric field stabilization of viscous liquid layers coating the underside of a surface, Physical Review Fluids 2, 054001, 2017, doi: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.2.054001.
- R. Cimpeanu, M.T. Devine, C O'Brien, A simulation model for the management and expansion of extended port terminal operations, Transportation Research Part E 98, 105-131, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.tre.2016.12.005.
- A. Kalogirou, R. Cimpeanu, E.E. Keaveny, D.T. Papageorgiou, Capturing nonlinear dynamics of two-fluid Couette flows with asymptotic models, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 806, R1, 2016, doi: 10.1017/jfm.2016.612.
- R. Cimpeanu, A. Martinsson, M. Heil, A parameter-free perfectly matched layer formulation for the finite-element-based solution of the Helmholtz equation, Journal of Computational Physics 296, 329-347, 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.jcp.2015.05.006.
- R. Cimpeanu, D.T. Papageorgiou and P.G. Petropoulos, On the control and suppression of the Rayleigh-Taylor instability using electric fields, Physics of Fluids 26, 022105, 2014, doi: 10.1063/1.4865674.