Teaching Responsibilities 2019/20:
Term 1: MA398 Matrix Analysis and Algorithms, Term 2: MA999 Fundamentals of Mathematical Modelling V - Industrial Mathematics
Research Interests: My primary research interests lie at the interface between scientific computing, numerical solutions for partial differential equations, physical systems modelling (in particular fluid mechanics and acoustics), asymptotic analysis and industrial mathematics.
I work on methodologies used to address technologically relevant problems in areas such as microfluidics, water retention on aircraft surfaces, spray atomisation and electrohydrodynamics. I am also active in a more general industrial mathematical modelling setting, with previous projects in computational acoustics (perfectly matched layers in particular), operational research and performance optimisation in flow-related devices (e.g. vacuum pumps, pesticide sprays). I often participate in Study Groups with Industry, as well as events within the UK Fluids Network as part of several Special Interest Groups.
I have in the past worked within the Oxford Mathematical Institute as Hooke Research Fellow (2017-2019) and the Department of Mathematics in Imperial College London (2011-2017). I maintain active ties with both institutions, as well as several other UK-based and international groups.
Most relevant recent publications:
- R.J. Tomlin, R. Cimpeanu, D.T. Papageorgiou, Instability and dripping of electrified liquid films flowing down inverted substrates, Physical Review Fluids 5, 013703, 2020, doi: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.5.013703 and associated synopsis in APS Physics.
- A. Kalogirou, R. Cimpeanu, M.G. Blyth, Asymptotic modelling and direct numerical simulations of multilayer pressure-driven flows, European Journal of Mechanics-B/Fluids 80, 195-205, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.euromechflu.2019.10.011.
- M.R. Moore, R. Cimpeanu, H. Ockendon, J.R. Ockendon, J.M. Oliver, Boundary layers in Helmholtz flows, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 882, A19, 2020, doi: 10.1017/jfm.2019.832.
- R. Cimpeanu, M.R. Moore, Early-time jet formation in liquid-liquid impact problems: theory and simulations, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 856, 764-796, 2018, doi: 10.1017/jfm.2018.704.
- R. Cimpeanu, D.T. Papageorgiou, Three-dimensional high speed drop impact onto solid surfaces at arbitrary angles, International Journal of Multiphase Flow 107, 192-2017, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2018.06.011.
- T.G. Anderson, R. Cimpeanu, D.T. Papageorgiou, P.G. Petropoulos, Electric field stabilization of viscous liquid layers coating the underside of a surface, Physical Review Fluids 2, 054001, 2017, doi: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.2.054001.
- R. Cimpeanu, M.T. Devine, C O'Brien, A simulation model for the management and expansion of extended port terminal operations, Transportation Research Part E 98, 105-131, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.tre.2016.12.005.
- A. Kalogirou, R. Cimpeanu, E.E. Keaveny, D.T. Papageorgiou, Capturing nonlinear dynamics of two-fluid Couette flows with asymptotic models, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 806, R1, 2016, doi: 10.1017/jfm.2016.612.
- R. Cimpeanu, A. Martinsson, M. Heil, A parameter-free perfectly matched layer formulation for the finite-element-based solution of the Helmholtz equation, Journal of Computational Physics 296, 329-347, 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.jcp.2015.05.006.
- R. Cimpeanu, D.T. Papageorgiou and P.G. Petropoulos, On the control and suppression of the Rayleigh-Taylor instability using electric fields, Physics of Fluids 26, 022105, 2014, doi: 10.1063/1.4865674.