Teaching Responsibilities 2022/23:
Term 1: MA934 Numerical Algorithms and OptimisationLink opens in a new window
Term 2: MA999 Topics in Mathematical Modelling - Industrial MathematicsLink opens in a new window
Terms 2-3: MA931 MathSys CDT MSc ProjectLink opens in a new window
Past teaching: MA124 Mathematics by ComputerLink opens in a new window (2021), MA398 Matrix Analysis and AlgorithmsLink opens in a new window (2019-2021)
Research Interests: My primary research interests lie at the interface between scientific computing, numerical solutions for partial differential equations, physical systems modelling (in particular fluid mechanics and acoustics), asymptotic analysis and industrial mathematics.
I work on methodologies used to address technologically relevant problems in areas such as microfluidics, water retention on aircraft surfaces, spray atomisation and electrohydrodynamics. I am also active in a more general industrial mathematical modelling setting, with previous projects in computational acoustics (perfectly matched layers in particular), operational research and performance optimisation in flow-related devices (e.g. vacuum pumps, pesticide sprays). I often participate in Study Groups with Industry, as well as events within the UK Fluids Network as part of several Special Interest Groups.
I have in the past worked within the Oxford Mathematical Institute as Hooke Research Fellow (2017-2019) and the Department of Mathematics in Imperial College London (2011-2017). I maintain active ties with both institutions, as well as several other UK-based and international groups.
Publications: a rather eclectic collection, with highlights including keywords such as violent drop impact, controlling multi-fluid systems with electric fields, but also taming acoustic/elastic waves using imaginary sponge layers or modelling shipyard activities. My webpage, as well as external auto-updating platforms such as Google Scholar, ResearchGate, Mendeley and Publons are the best places to check out the most up to date activity. I also try to maintain an active YouTube channel and a suitably clumsy Twitter feed to go with them.
As a taster, a few of my most relevant/recent papers are below. Please feel free to get in touch about any details, data, source code etc.
- B.D. Fudge, R. Cimpeanu, A. Antkowiak, J.R. Castrejón-Pita, A.A. Castrejón-Pita, Drop splashing after impact onto immiscible pools of different viscosities, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 641, 585-594, 2023, doi: 10.1016/j.jcis.2023.03.040.
- L.F.L. Alventosa, R. Cimpeanu, D.M. Harris, Inertio-capillary rebound of a droplet impacting a fluid bath, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 958, A24 1-31, 2023, doi: 10.1017/jfm.2023.88.
- A.W. Wray, R. Cimpeanu, S.N. Gomes, Electrostatic control of the Navier-Stokes equations for thin films, Physical Review Fluids 7, L122001, 2022, doi: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.7.L122001.
- B.D. Fudge, R. Cimpeanu, A.A. Castrejon-Pita, Dipping into a new pool: the interface dynamics of drops impacting onto a different liquids, Physical Review E 104 065102:1-10, 2021. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevE.104.065102.
- M.P. Dalwadi, R. Cimpeanu, H. Ockendon, J. Ockendon, T. Mullin, Levitation of a cylinder by a thin viscous film, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 917, A28 1-27, 2021. doi: 10.1017/jfm.2021.284.
- R. Cimpeanu, S.N. Gomes, D.T. Papageorgiou, Active control of liquid film flows: beyond reduced-order models, Nonlinear Dynamics 104, 267-287, 2021, doi: 10.1007/s11071-021-06287-5.
- M.J. Negus, M.R. Moore, J.M. Oliver, R. Cimpeanu, Droplet impact onto a spring-supported plate: analysis and simulations, Journal of Engineering Mathematics 128, 1-27, 2021, doi: 10.1007/s10665-021-10107-5.
- C.A. Galeano-Rios, R. Cimpeanu, I. Bauman, A. MacEwen, P.A. Milewski, D.M. Harris, Capillary-scale solid rebounds: Experiments, modelling and simulations, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 912 A17, 1-31, 2021, doi: 10.1017/jfm.2020.1135.
- C.J. Ojiako, R. Cimpeanu, H.C. Hemaka Bandulasena, R. Smith, D. Tseluiko, Deformation and dewetting of liquid films under gas jets, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 905 A18, 1-38, 2020, doi: 10.1017/jfm.2020.751.
- A.W. Wray, R. Cimpeanu, Reduced-order modelling of thick inertial flows around rotating cylinders, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 898 A1 1-33, 2020, doi: 10.1017/jfm.2020.421Link opens in a new window.
- R.J. Tomlin, R. Cimpeanu, D.T. Papageorgiou, Instability and dripping of electrified liquid films flowing down inverted substrates, Physical Review Fluids 5, 013703, 2020, doi: 10.1103/PhysRevFluids.5.013703 and associated synopsis in APS Physics.
- R. Cimpeanu, M.R. Moore, Early-time jet formation in liquid-liquid impact problems: theory and simulations, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 856, 764-796, 2018, doi: 10.1017/jfm.2018.704Link opens in a new window.
- R. Cimpeanu, D.T. Papageorgiou, Three-dimensional high speed drop impact onto solid surfaces at arbitrary angles, International Journal of Multiphase Flow 107, 192-2017, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2018.06.011Link opens in a new window.
- R. Cimpeanu, M.T. Devine, C O'Brien, A simulation model for the management and expansion of extended port terminal operations, Transportation Research Part E 98, 105-131, 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.tre.2016.12.005Link opens in a new window.
- R. Cimpeanu, A. Martinsson, M. Heil, A parameter-free perfectly matched layer formulation for the finite-element-based solution of the Helmholtz equation, Journal of Computational Physics 296, 329-347, 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.jcp.2015.05.006Link opens in a new window.
- R. Cimpeanu, D.T. Papageorgiou and P.G. Petropoulos, On the control and suppression of the Rayleigh-Taylor instability using electric fields, Physics of Fluids 26, 022105, 2014, doi: 10.1063/1.4865674.
- 2023: BAMC 2023, UKACM 2023, INI: Computational Challenges and Emerging Tools, ICMS: Waves and Free Surface Flows, ICIAM 2023
- 2022: BAMC 2022, BECMC 2022, Interfacial flows workshop at the WMI, UKFC, EFMC14, APS DFD
- 2021: BMC/BAMC 2021, MNF2021, Droplets 2021
- 2020: APS DFD Virtual Meeting
- 2019: Droplets 2019, ICIAM 2019, BGUM 2019, BIRS 2019 thin films workshop, BAMC 2019, APS March Meeting 2019.