Professor of Mathematics
Teaching Responsibilities 2020/21:
Term 1: MA907 Simulation and Machine Learning for Finance
Term 2: MA124 Mathematics by Computer
Applied and computational mathematics - nonlinear phenomena
For more information and further publications see Dwight Barkley's homepage
Most relevant recent publications:
- D. Barkley, A fluid mechanic's analysis of the teacup singularity, Proc. R. Soc. A. 476, 20200348 (2020).
- L.S. Tuckerman, M. Chantry, and D. Barkley, Patterns in Wall-Bounded Shear Flows Annu. Rev. Fluid Mec. 52, 343 - 367 (2020).
- D. Barkley, Taming turbulent fronts by bending pipes, J. Fluid Mech. 872, pp. 1-4 (2019).
- T. Dessup, L.S. Tuckerman, J.E. Wesfreid, D. Barkley, A.P. Willis, Self-sustaining process in Taylor-Couette flow, Phys. Rev. Fluids 3, 123902 (2018).
- J. Langham, H. Bense, and D. Barkley, Modeling shape selection of buckled dielectric elastomers, J. Appl. Phys. 123, 065102 (2018).
- M. Chantry, L.S. Tuckerman and D. Barkley, Universal continuous transition to turbulence in a planar shear flow, J. Fluid Mech. 824, R1 (2017).
- B. Song, D. Barkley, B. Hof, and M. Avila, Speed and structure of turbulent fronts in pipe flow, J. Fluid Mech. 813, 1045-1059 (2017).
- D. Barkley, Theoretical perspective on the route to turbulence in a pipe, J. Fluid Mech. 803, P1 (2016).
- M. Chantry, L.S. Tuckerman and D. Barkley, Turbulent-laminar patterns in shear flows without walls, J. Fluid Mech. 791, R8 (2016).
- D. Barkley, B. Song, V. Mukund, G. Lemoult, M. Avila, and B. Hof, The rise of fully turbulent flow, Nature 526, 550-553 (2015).
- S.E. Turton, L.S. Tuckerman, and D. Barkley, Prediction of frequencies in thermosolutal convection from mean flows, Phys. Rev. E 91, 043009 (2015).
- J. Langham and D. Barkley, Non-specular reflections in a macroscopic system with wave-particle duality: Spiral waves in bounded media, Chaos 23, 013134 (2013).
- D. Barkley, Simplifying the complexity of pipe flow, Phys. Rev. E 84, 016309 (2011).
- K. Avila, D. Moxey, A. de Lozar, M. Avila, D. Barkley, B. Hof, The Onset of Turbulence in Pipe Flow, Science 333, 192-196 (2011).
- L. S. Tuckerman and D. Barkley Patterns and dynamics in transitional plane Couette flow, Phys. Fluids 23, 041301 (2011).
- D. Moxey and D. Barkley, Distinct large-scale turbulent-laminar states in transitional pipe flow , PNAS 107, 8091-8096 (2010).
- C.D. Cantwell, D. Barkley, H.M. Blackburn, Transient growth analysis of flow through a sudden expansion in a circular pipe, Phys. Fluids 22, 034101 (2010).
- V.N. Biktashev, D. Barkley, I.V. Biktasheva, Orbital motion of spiral waves in excitable media, Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 058302 (2010).
- H.M. Blackburn, S.J. Sherwin, and D. Barkley, Convective instability and transient growth in steady and pulsatile stenotic flows, J. Fluid Mech. 607, 267-277 (2008).
- H.M. Blackburn, D. Barkley, and S.J. Sherwin, Convective instability and transient growth in flow over a backward-facing step, J. Fluid Mech. 603, 271-304 (2008).
- D. Barkley, Barkley Model, Scholarpedia - The free peer reviewed encyclopedia, 3(11):1877 (2008).
- D. Barkley and L.S. Tuckerman, Mean flow of turbulent-laminar patterns in plane Couette flow, J. Fluid Mech. 576, 109-137 (2007).
- D. Barkley, Linear analysis of the cylinder wake mean flow, Europhys. Lett. 75, 750 - 756 (2006).
- D. Barkley and L.S. Tuckerman, Computational study of turbulent-laminar patterns in Couette flow, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 014502 (2005).
Recent Research grants:
- Simons Foundation, Revisiting the Turbulence Problem Using Statistical Mechanics (2019-2023).
- Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR), TRANSFLOW (2014-2018)
- EPSRC, Biglobal methods for optimal flow perturbations (2006-2007)
- EPSRC, Responsce Functions for Drift of Spiral and Scroll Waves (01/10/2006 30/09/2009)
- Royal Society, Spatio-temporal Complexity in Plane Couette Flow and in Non-Boussinesq convection (01/10/2003 - 01/10/2005)
Recent Awards and Prizes:
- Elected Fellow of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (2016).
- Total-ESPCI ParisTech Chair in "Sciences Focused on Energies, Carbon and the Environment" (2013).
- Royal Society-Leverhulme Trust Senior Research Fellow (2009-2010).
- Elected Fellow of the American Physical Society (2008).
- Elected Fellow of The Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications (2008).
- Senior Fellowship, Ville de Paris, Paris (2006-2007).
- SIAM J.D. Crawford Prize(2005).