Lectures: Tue 11-1 and Fri 10-12 in D1.07
Classes: Tue 2-4 and Fri 2-4 in D1.07
- Written class test (about 1.5 hours) on Tue 28.10. at 2pm in D1.07, counts 25/100.
No books allowed, please only come with writing material and have your student ID number ready to put on the exam booklet.
- Viva/oral examination on Fri 31.10. in B1.12, 20 minutes per student, counts 50/100.
Current viva timetable, and list of topics for viva and class test.
- homework counts 25/100 marks
- regularly updated version of the course notes: notes_ma933.pdf (final version, updated 24.10.)
- the first part of notes for the previous module CO905 Stochastic models of complex systems provide a slightly more complete introduction to Markov chains and might be useful for background reading
- NEW: solution to sheet 2 by Jacopo Credi (pdf)
- sheet2: Birth-death chains, contact process, random networks
corrected mistakes in this version:
- Q1.4(c) and 1.5(c) use the adjacency matrix A instead of the graph Laplacian
- Q1.4(b) expression for k_nn (k) corrected
- Q1.4(a) do not measure power law exponent, but compare to the theoretical value -2-k0 /m
- sheet1: Simple random walk, generators and eigenvalues, Toom's model
(sign error in eigenvalues in Q1.3b and c corrected)
- hand-out3: random sequential update, Gillespie algorithm
- hand-out2: generating functions, Poisson processes
- hand-out1: linear algebra
- classwork_21_10.m: stuff from classes including errorbars and semicircle
- prefattach.m: Matlab file to generate a generalized preferential attachment network
- matrixFun.m: Matlab file for matrix manipulations (produces a lot of output, comment out irrelevant section when running it)
- randomWalk.m: Matlab file for random walk
- contact.zip: zip file with c code and random number generator for the contact process
- er.m: demonstrates giant cluster phase transition in ER networks (written by Thomas House)
- Matlab tools for network analysis from MIT
- export_fig: package to properly export figures in Matlab
- Wikibooks on Matlab and C_Programming
- review papers on complex networks:
Complex networks: Structure and dynamics (Boccaletti, S.; Latora, V.; Moreno, Y.; Chavez, M.; Hwang, D.-U.; Physics Reports 424 (4-5), 175-308, 2006)
The Structure and Function of Complex Networks (M.E.J. Newman; SIAM Review 45(2), 167–256, 2003)