PDELT Summer School - Monday 10th July to Friday 4th August 2023
The Professional Development for English Language Teachers 120-hour programme is designed for English language teachers working in global educational institutions. The PDELT course is delivered over four weeks in the Summer at the University of Warwick campus and consists of 2 streams:
- English Language Teachers (ELT)/lecturers at secondary and tertiary institutions
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP)/English for Specific Academic Purposes (ESAP) teachers at tertiary institutions
There will also be a focus on the use of language teaching technology in all the above streams. There are optional elements including networking within the university, assessment, and academic and research writing. All courses are designed and taught by tutors from the Department of Warwick Applied Linguistics, with guest lecturers brought in from the wider university as required.
Key objectives of the course
- To develop teachers’ knowledge of language teaching methodologies, along with the confidence and skills to apply them effectively in the classroom
- To improve teachers’ competency and confidence in using English in a wholly immersive learning environment, both inside and outside of the classroom
- To increase teachers' ability to select and develop teaching materials that are relevant, engaging and authentic, and to familiarise them with a wide range of technological tools designed to enhance their own learning and future teaching practice
- To promote teachers’ ability to support their own professional development, and encourage teachers to become reflective practitioners
- To provide an opportunity for teachers to engage in peer observation and observed micro-teaching practice, and to receive constructive, critical feedback
- To nurture creativity and pedagogical diversity in support of learning
- To offer a cultural experience through guided visits (e.g. Warwick, Stratford Upon Avon (including Shakespeare’s birthplace) and London)
Accommodation will be provided in student accommodation located on the Warwick campus. You will have a private study bedroom with Wi-Fi. Airport pickups and a bus pass are also included in the course fee, allowing you to explore the local area.
Participants will be able to enjoy our great facilities and benefit from our inclusive and cosmopolitan environment.