Department Education Studies
Level Taught Postgraduate Level
Module leader Dr Jacqueline Dynes
Credit value 30
Module duration 26 weeks
Assessment 100% coursework
Study location University of Warwick main campus, Coventry
This module focuses on education in its wider social and historical contexts looking principally on the UK but also considers global developments and offers students opportunities to consider their own national contexts. The module explores the social purposes of education, considering issues such as: education and social justice; education, the state and social provision; education and the economy; educational inequalities and widening participation. The module will look at how shifts in these areas have informed developments in schools, post-compulsory and higher education.
Principle Module Aims and Outcomes
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Understand pertinent educational and social research including types of research, key findings, contribution to theory, practice and policy initiatives at both national and international level.
- Deepen their understanding of key concepts and issues in educational policy, theory and provision, and the principles of social justice in education.
- Communicate their ideas and findings effectively in various media including written, spoken and possibly graphical.
- Present coherently reasoned and appropriately substantiated argument, drawing on evidence from a variety of sources and synthesising ideas effectively.
- Demonstrate critical, reflective understanding of module content in relation to their own experiences of education.
- Introduction to the module.
- What is Education?
- Education in Post-Welfare Society/ Education and Social Justice
- Schools and Schooling: overview and issues
- Post-Compulsory Education & Training/ Higher Education: overview and issues
- Equality and Diversity in Education: experiences and achievement
- Global Perspectives on Education
- Education Policy
|Lectures||15 sessions of 1 hour (5%)|
|Seminars||15 sessions of 1 hour (5%)|
|Private study||270 hours (90%)|
This is a core module for MA Education, and an optional module for MA Childhood in Society, MA Drama and Theatre Education, MA Educational Innovation, MA Educational Leadership and Management, MA Islamic Education: Theory and Practice, MA Global Education and International Development, and MA Psychology and Education.